Suffering from itermittent scalp pimple on head. Suggest medicine?

I am suffering from scalp pimple. I have several pimples on my head. Which are coming and going. Which is annoying. Kindly suggest some medicine and any shampoo to use.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
seborrheic folliculitis & acne .

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

It seems you are having multiple small pus filled lesions on scalp which looks and feel like pimples .This means you are suffering from seborrheic folliculitis .At times such a condition is associated with dandruff also.

In such a condition we prefer using shampoo containing ketoconazole 2% & ZPTO .This you can get by the name SCALPE shampoo or TRIATOP shampoo .Use this as a normal shampoo twice a week to wash your scalp.

Apart from this we also prefer giving oral antibiotics like minocyclin or azithromycin & oral anti fungal tablets like fluconazole or terbinafin .

In sever or resistant cases we prefer oral retinoids (isotretinoin) .A low dose oral isotretinoin for a longer period gives good result.

Pimples are multifactorial ,and therefore one has to find the exact cause of it.
It can be because of wrong use of soaps to moisturizers or any fairness creams which one is using .So a complete work up is necessary in all patients.You should avoid all oily stuff on your face right from oily soaps to moisturizing creams.Also use a good anti acne soap or face wash containing 2% salicylic acid daily which can take away the excess oil from the face. You should also use anti acne creams like nadifloxacin or clindamycin creams.
In mild cases of acne we prefer giving oral antibiotics like azithromycin or minocyclin .Sever cases of acne respond good to oral retinoids(isotretinoin) .

Since all these are prescription based tablets ,I would suggest you to consult a dermatologist for proper prescription .There are certain side effects and precautions of oral isotretinoin which your dermatologist would discuss with you.

You should see that the scalp is always clean and do wash you scalp daily.Avoid using a hair oil at this moment that would aggravate your problem.

General measures like intake of 7-10 glasses of water daily ,avoidance of all cosmetics , good 7 hr sleep in night should also be maintained for good and faster results.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.