Suffering from itching problem. Suspected for nutrition or vitamin deficiency. Suggest some remedy

I am about to die from itching. No apparent cause! No rash. It won't respond to benedryl or any of the usual anti-itch creams. I strongly suspect it is related to nutrition or vitamin deficiency, rather than typical allergic reaction since it has been growing worse. I am about to tear off my skin. Please can anyone suggest something that will stop the itching?
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 41 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Itching really can be due to several disorders including dry skin, and other disorders including liver disease, celiac disease, kidney failure, iron deficiency and thyroid problems. Other conditions affecting the nervous system like multiple sclerosis and diabetes can cause itching.
As of now, the first step would be to apply a generous amount of thick based cream and see if it helps. You may consider massaging in some oil as well. If you're using oil, use slightly warm oil, It gets absorbed faster. This is so as itching due to dry skin will not respond to any benadryl or anything but moisturizer.
If it doesnt help, we need to start with a full examination and a battery of tests like a liver function test, kidney function test, blood sugar levels.
Iron deficiency can cause itching but it would also cause a lot of fatigue. Several vitamins including vitamin A, B12 and D have been implicated in itching but there is no conclusive evidence yet.
Let me know if this helps. We'll take it further from there.