Suffering from itching and burning in scrotum. Suggest the treatment?

I am suffering from a scrotum itching and burning. My dr told me it is not herpes but it want go away. The itching and burning occur mostly at night
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try antifungal creams..

Detailed Answer:

As the symptoms are predominantly noticed at night, a definite treatment according to me would be a trial and error process. And as this symptom has a diurinal variation, herpes and other sexually transmitted infection are definitely very, very unlikely.

If I have to treat you, I would definitely use antifungal preparations such as lotrimin for a period of 2 weeks first and see if it changes these symptoms. If it doesn't then I would consider other possibilities.
1. Senile (age related) dryness of skin become worse at night especially during cold weather. This combined with excessive perspiration can make your skin burn and itchy.
2. Contact / irritation to any products that you might be using at night may induce this reaction.
3. Rare possibility of harboring a parasitic infection especially pinworm. These worm generally reside in the anal region; but at nights they become active to cause itching in the perianal region and scrotum.

If antifungal preparation is ineffective, I would consider these condition before opting other treatment. Your dermatologist after physical examination can guide you better.

Besides the above, I also recommend you use hypoallergic products to wash body wear.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.

Follow-up: Suffering from itching and burning in scrotum. Suggest the treatment? 9 hours later
If this is an out break of herpes why it won't go away
Answered by Dr. Prasad 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes is unlikely...

Detailed Answer:
As I mentioned in my previous reply, I DON'T think this is related to herpes or other sexually transmitted disease.

You should try over the counter antifungal preparation like lotrimin cream for a week or two before visiting a dermatologist to exclude other possibilities.

Hope this is clear now. I'll be glad to clarify if you have other concerns.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Suffering from itching and burning in scrotum. Suggest the treatment? 8 minutes later
I have used anti fungal cream
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consider other options...

Detailed Answer:

If two week use of regular antifungal cream has been ineffective then the next step is to see a dermatologist. He should be able to evaluate for other conditions as described in my earlier reply. If no conclusive evidence is found the you can be treated with steroid preparation. That should provide relief.

Hope this helped. Write back of you have other enquiries.