Suffering from irritable bowel movements. Noticed jelly stuff while wiping. What could be this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
Hi, I have been off work now about a month with gastroenteritis but now it seems my symptoms are more like those of tissue was jelly like stuff which is not normal for me. Please could you help?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 45 minutes later
Hi

1) Kindly mention your all symptoms in detail.

2) Yes, Acute gastroenteritis may persist for months while irritable bowel syndrome has similar history since many years, not for a month.

3) Symptoms suggestive of acute gastroenteritis are: Fever, watery shit, spasmodic abdominal pain, abdominal bloating, excessive flatulence. Abdominal discomfort generally increase after taking milk & milk products.

4) Sometimes patients may have increased frequency for using washroom but he/ she is getting only small amount of shit. This is also a type of gastroenteritis.

5) Symptoms suggestive of IBS: predominant diarrhea/ predominant constipation, abdominal pain (mostly in morning hours), relieved after defecation (using washroom). Relieve of pain after defecation is the most specific symptom of IBS.

6) Acute Gastroenteritis is an organic disease while irritable bowel syndrome is a functional disorder. Irritable bowel syndrome may be predominant diarrhea type/ predominant constipation type/ mixed type.

7) Irritable bowel syndrome is labelled when all relevant investigation are within normal limits.

8) In irritable bowel syndrome, gut is hypersensitive to small amount of pain, discomfort, gas formation. Small amount of abdominal discomfort may pose severe discomfort to patient.

9) Diagnosing a patient with IBS is crucial decision as line of treatment is entirely different for IBS and acute gastroenteritis.

10) Kindly mention your all treatment taken during last month.

11) You should go for complete blood count, thyroid profile, serum calcium, stool examination, Colonoscopy, Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy if you have abdominal bloating and watery shit. Avoid taking milk and all milk products, some time lactose intolerance may cause persisting diarrhea.

12) You should consult with Physician/ gastroenterologist.

Thanks and get well soon.

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from irritable bowel movements. Noticed jelly stuff while wiping. What could be this? 11 minutes later
My symptoms are abdominal pain/cramps, headaches, diarrhoea, mucus in stool, bloating and wind also sometimes feeling lightheaded too.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later

1) Your Symptoms suggest that you are most likely suffering from Acute Bacterial Gastroenteritis.

2) You should go for above described investigations.

3) You should take antibiotics, probiotics, anti-spasmodics on written prescription.

4) You should also consult physician/ gastroenterologist.

Get well soon,

Best regards

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from irritable bowel movements. Noticed jelly stuff while wiping. What could be this? 24 minutes later
Thank you I have been to doctors and all they have said is that I have gastroenteritis, told me to take paracetamol and drink plenty, the only thing they have done is checked my belly. How long can this last for?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 11 minutes later

1) Acute Viral gastroenteritis (as usual like other viral illness) last for 3-4 days.

2) As you are suffering from near about one month, there is high chances of Bacterial infection.

3) Antibiotics are required in your case, and 7-10 days are required for full recovery. In acute bacterial gastroenteritis, ulcers are generally developed in intestine at the time of presentation and it will take time for complete recovery.

I wish a rapid recovery for you.

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from irritable bowel movements. Noticed jelly stuff while wiping. What could be this? 7 minutes later
Thank you so do you think I had best go back to doctors again? The problem is I work in a care home laundry so need to make sure I am 100% before I go back.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 minutes later

You have great thoughts and maintaining hygiene not only for you but for others.

Impressed.

Get well Soon.

Dr. Mayank Bhargava