Suffering from irritable bowel movement with chalky colour. What treatment should be done?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I do not have a shape to my stool. Its solid sometimes but in pieces. I went to the doc about this but I was also sick at the time. some stomach virus that was going around. I dont think its stress because I have been in the Marine Corps for about 4 years now and I think im pretty used to a stressful environment. The color of my stool is the normal brown but its real chalky now after I was sick which was about 2 months ago.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for contacting XXXXXXX

Before I can conclude anything you need to answer few queries.
1. How many times you pass stools in a day. Do you pass it in the night also.
2. You said it does not have a shape. Is it liquid most of the times.
3. What do you mean by chalky. You also say that it is normal brown in color.
4. What sickness you had 2 months back.
5. Do you have any other problem like pain abdomen, fever, itching on body, yellow coloration of eyes or urine.
6. How much milk do you consume.

Once you answer these only then I may be able to comment firther.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Suffering from irritable bowel movement with chalky colour. What treatment should be done? 22 minutes later
1) I only pass stool maybe once or twice a day most of the time just once a day.
2) What I mean by shape is that it has no form its like squeezing a toothpaste bottle sometimes. its not really liquidy but chalky
3) like if you were to mix baking soda and water together "Chalky". yes sir it is the normal dark or light brown color to my knowledge
4)I had some sort of flu that I recieved form my nephew. lots of diarrhea at that time.
5) I do not have any sort of pain or fever, no yellow coloration of the eyes. my urine is highlighter yellow in color but I expect that from taking GNC vitamins
6) I rarely drink milk most of the time it will be with cereal

Thanks for responding

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 8 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for responding to my questions.

You had severe diarrhea at the time of flu. This is the time since your stool have altered. As I understand apart from the unusual consistency it is not giving you any particular problem. This and other alterations in stool patterns occur after infections of the GI tract, and these usually recover back to normal after a variable time period. Since it is not causing any particular problem, I think you can just ignore this. At the most you can take some probiotics, which are usually available over the counter. Another problem after infections is of lactose intolerance, which in your case should not be a issue as you do not take milk.

Hope this answers your concerns.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Suffering from irritable bowel movement with chalky colour. What treatment should be done? 12 hours later
Thanks Doc,

You have been very helpful and reassuring in my health. I will try some probiotics and get back to you. Hopefully my stool will go back to normal.

XXXXXXX

Dear XXXXXXX
My best wishes are with you. If you have any further queries, you are most welcome to enquire in future.
Dr Dinesh Singal