Suffering from irregular period with light bleeding. Underlying cause?

Mar 2013
Im usually a heavy bleeder during my period. Last month was about normal. But before that I had missed it for a month or 2 prior to last months. This month, I have had only clots when I pee and wipe, no bleeding like normally. What could this be?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 44 minutes later
You are suffering from irregular menstrual cycles for the past 2 months.
There could be various reasons for this.
Firstly, in any female in the reproductive age group, who is sexually active, the main possibility is pregnancy and pregnancy related complications.
It could be an intrauterine pregnancy .
It could be an impending miscarriage, or an ectopic pregnancy ( pregnancy outside the uterus ).
You can rule out these conditions by a home urine pregnancy test , however rarely a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy might not show up on the urine pregnancy strip.
Then there are other reasons for such abnormal pattern of menstrual bleeding.
Common conditions include emotional stress, anxiety, heavy and frequent travelling, rapid and recent fluctuations in weight, etc.
Thyroid disorders and polycystic ovaries should be ruled out.
Such a picture also is presented with endometrial hyperplasia, wherein the lining of the uterus gets thickened, so sheds in a delayed manner.
Intake of hormonal medications or birth control pills also could be a reason.

I would advise you to consult a Gynecologist for a detailed evaluation and appropriate blood tests.
Feel free to get back with any further questions.
Follow-up: Suffering from irregular period with light bleeding. Underlying cause? 29 minutes later
Thank you for the answer. I did get a blood test done last month. Im currently working overseas. I had the blood test to find out if I was pregnant or not. But I didn't have any symtoms at all for being pregnant. I just had to make sure before coming back to work overseas. But this month my period came exactly one month from last months but no bleeding. Kind of just clots when you end or start your period.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
Hi again.
Again, the list of possibilities is the one I gave you above.
I would ask you to consult a reputed Gynecologist and have a complete assessment.
That would provide you a clearer picture.
Follow-up: Suffering from irregular period with light bleeding. Underlying cause? 15 minutes later
I have one more question regarding this period issue. If I sometimes have this issue, not all the time. I dont have children right now. Will this be an issue when I do try to conceive?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Certain conditions like polycystic ovaries, thyroid disorders, endometrial issues will have an impact on conception.
So its all the more important to have them screened out.
Generally with irregular cycles, women DO have difficulties in conception, but most of the conditions are treatable, so dont panic !