Suffering from internal hemorrhoids. Hemoglobin levels are 13.6 g/dl. What test should be done?

I got CBC done 2 days ago, Hemoglobin levels are 13.6 g/dl. I am suffering from XXXXXXX Hammaroids. I suspect there is some blood in stool. Do i have to get any further medical tests done?
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

This haemoglobin level is alright.

No further blood test for this condition is necessary.
If you are planning for operation, you should do sugar, urea / ECG / may be X-ray chest - with a view for anaesthesia assessment. Otherwise, no need.
See your surgeon. Better to get operated- that is the only sure treatment. That will eliminate the cause of blood loss - and so low haemoglobin.

Wishing you speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Suffering from internal hemorrhoids. Hemoglobin levels are 13.6 g/dl. What test should be done? 7 hours later
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your reply.
I am a little worried if the blood in stool is due to XXXXXXX hammaroids or any other serious condition related to lower/upper digestive tracts.
I feel that the stools are blocked and i have to go to bathroom more than twice a day. Sometimes i also have problem passing gas. i am not suffering from any constipation.
Sometimes i have rectal pain but only when i have to strain.
A couple of weeks ago i felt very exhausted and tiered and shortness of breath, GP at my office told that it may be due to lack of proper sleep(i was not getting proper sleep due to high workload).
My sugar levels are normal(81-fasting 113-post lunch), i am little high on cholesterol (TCH 228, HDL 54, LDL 151).

I have no night fevers or night sweats. I can walk up to 6 KM without any problem.
Should i be worried about any serious conditions like co-rectal cancer and get any tests done to rule out the possibility?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 4 hours later

If there is bleeding from upper digestive tract the stool will be black and tarry.
If it is from lower down it is visible to the naked eye.
If you re still anxious, the best solution is to see a gastro-enterologist. They can do upper and lower GI endoscopy and exclude cancer, polyp, ulcer and so on – the best reassurance.

Need to go to bathroom more than once may be from habit. Regular training may solve it.

Cholesterol is not little high – quite high
There are subdivisions of cholesterol – LDL, HDL, non-HDL and so on.
LDL (& non-HDL) is bad cholesterol – lower, the better.
HDL is good cholesterol – higher, the better.
The value of 151 is quite high for LDL cholesterol. In the absence of any other risk factor 100 is ideal. [130 was allowed before.] In the presence of ischemia, 70 should be the aim.
• Keep your weight to normal / even a little less
• Quit smoking, if you are a smoker
• Do regular EXERCISE – say walking or jogging - 20 minutes a day / at least 5 days in a week. Isometric exercise (like bull worker) is bad.
• Healthy FOOD is a must. Avoid saturated fats – coconut oil, palm oil, butter, ghee, full cream milk...Avoid junk foods in particular – French fries have palm oil / Pizza has cheese / Indian sweets are made in ghee...
Change to Poly-un-saturated oil – like sun flower oil.
Include Mono-un-saturated oil – Olive oil.
Repeat the test in 6 weeks.
• Cholesterol can still be high, in spite of diet and exercise – you need drugs. Because it is also manufactured in the liver – and that is determined by heredity. Statin is the first choice. Some start it straight away – even with normal levels, even without problems (Primary Prophylaxis)

All the best
Follow-up: Suffering from internal hemorrhoids. Hemoglobin levels are 13.6 g/dl. What test should be done? 17 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

I would follow what you have advised.
couple of last questions...
Can i join yoga or does it come under isometric exercise?
Do you think the tiredness and shortness of breath was due to high cholesterol?

Thanks a lot,
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 minutes later

High cholesterol has no direct relation to shortness of breath or tiredness. You sound anxious?

Yoga is mostly relaxation techniques and physical postures - some of them are isometric / your trainer can guide properly

Good luck