Suffering from inguinal hernia. Getting heartburn and acid reflux. Easy way to get cure?

Question
Hi there
I am a male aged 40 I pass lot of gas during the day as well as while passing my stool. I pass stool 1-2 time in the morning but dont get satisfaction. My stools are semi formed and are smelly in nature. I also get heartburn and acid reflux. I have been suffering from inguinal hernia for the past 7 years. I suffer from lack of vitality in general.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 minutes later

From the symptoms it looks like acute gastritis and gastrointestinal reflux.
Gastritis is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach. There are many possible causes of this disorder including an infection (bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic), an irritant, backup of bile or due to acid reflux.

Drink plenty of water to detoxify the body. Also take an antacid or a H2 blocker like Rantac or a PPI inhibitor drug like Omeprazole after consulting your doctor.
Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food. Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing). Also increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietician will be helpful. Try raising the head end of your bed by at least two blocks and take your meals 2 hrs prior to bedtime. Also avoid taking two or three heavy meals. Instead, take regular frequent small meals. Avoid taking tea or coffee prior to bedtime and concentrate more on a healthy diet.

Lack of vitality can be due to iron deficiency or vitamin D deficiency. Regarding vitamin D levels, get your vitamin D levels checked and if they are low, then you need to take a XXXXXXX of vitamin D with milk or curd once a week for 8 weeks and then once a month. Each XXXXXXX contains 60,000 IU of vitamin D. You can also get your Hb levels evaluated and if they are low then take more of iron XXXXXXX diet.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Suffering from inguinal hernia. Getting heartburn and acid reflux. Easy way to get cure? 22 minutes later
What tests are there that I can undertake to find out if I have Gastritis and its underlining reason such as infection as you have mentioned. Is it not possible that I am suffering from some kind of intolerance. I also feel sluggish and lethargic which I feel is due to gas formation. Also I can give you my stool type according to bristol stool chart is 6.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Bristol types 1,6 and 7 are considered abnormal and suggest a current bowel problem or increased risk of developing one in the future. Hence you should get an upper GI endoscopy done. H. pylori may be detected in a blood test, a stool test or a breath test.

To rule out any intolerance, there are no direct investigations as such but often many investigations are done which help in pinpointing the diagnosis. These include:

1)     Stool Fat test, to determine malabsorption level and presence of steatorrhea in stools
2)     Complete blood count to find out any anemia ( this you must have got done in the blood tests).
3)     Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) and C reactive protein to look for inflammation.
4)     Vitamin levels especially B12, D, and E to check for vitamin deficiency.
5)     Comprehensive metabolic profile (CMP) to analyze protein, calcium and electrolyte levels and liver and kidney functions. These may include albumin, Ca, K, and Na and alkaline phosphatase and PT
6)     Setrological markers like anti-tissue transglutaminase antibody (AGA) and anti-endomysial antibody
7)     A small-bowel biopsy from the second portion of the duodenum