Suffering from indigestion, joint and muscles pain after taking antibiotic. Blood test normal. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I presented with a urine infection to my Gp in July, Since when I have had varous antibiotics, one of which gave me a severe allergic reaction (swollen bleeding lips, fever etc and then oral thrush). I had a short 4 day course of steroids to counteract this, then more antibiotics and the infection has gone. Since then I have had bad indigestion, chest pain under my left breast, pins and needles in my feet and hands, numb heavy arm and random joint and muscle pains. I have all along being feeling very fatigued. Blood tests show normal, but I wonder if my thyroid or adrenal function is impaired? Do you think I need more in depth tests than the basics for these please? During my 'illness' I felt constantly very abnormally stressed even panicky at times and physically 'tizzy' or inwardly shaky. I still feel this when I first wake up but it is relieved as the day progresses and once I have eaten.
All of this is rather depressing. Thank you
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
The symptoms of chest pain and indigestion are likely to be related to gastritis caused by stress and anxiety. These symptoms can be relieved by taking proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole(Prilosec OTC) for two weeks.
The generalized joint and muscle pain, numbness and feeling of fatigue can be due to-
1. Generalized viral illness.
2. Improper diet.
3. Abnormal body posture, muscle overuse.
4. Electrolyte imbalance.
5. Hormonal disbalance like hypothyroidism.
5. Anxiety neurosis.
All these possibilities need to be ruled out after a proper physical examination and related blood tests.
Till the time you get evaluated for these possibilities, there are some of the other lifestyle options which you can follow
1) You can take a mild pain killer like paracetamol or ibuprofen for symptomatic relief. Taking a well balanced will be helpful.

2) Do not take caffeine or alcohol at night just before going to bed.

3) Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.

4) You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.