Suffering from hypothyroidism and anemia. Planning for a baby. Suggest a diet plan

Jan 2013

I've had hypothyroidism since 3 married and want to plan for a baby.....but my thyroid is not stable. and also has anemic problem so what should i take in my diet? I would like to plan for baby as soon as possible. Can we start planning as soon as my TSH comes below 2? Please suggest.

Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 44 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With getting pregnant, your thyroid profile and anemia must be controlled range.
Treatment of hypothyroidism is decided by TSH level.
TSH level must be in between 0.35-5.50 (normal range of TSH).
As such there is no defined level of TSH in hypothyroidism below which a female may get pregnancy (as you have defined TSH 2).

Hypothyroidism is also associated with anemia and correction of thyroid level may also correct anemia.
There is a long list regarding dietary restriction in hypothyroidism.
Avoid cauliflower, cabbage, capsicum, broccoli and lettuce.
Other dietary restrictions: avoid bread, cucumber, onion, potatoes.
Take tomatoes and dry fruits.

Thyriod supplements should be considered as a natural hormones and supplements are essential for correction of TSH. Dietary restriction are supportive and helpful for thyroid hormone supplements.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava