Suffering from hypothyroidism. Suggest diet and precautions

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
Hello Sir, My Mother is suffering from hypothyroidisum can you please suggest me regarding this and any precautions need to take about her diet.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Reply Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query You mentioned that your mother is suffering from hypothyroidism but please reply as regards: 1. How long she has been hypothyroid. 2.Please get her Serum T3, T4 and TSH done for her. 3.Also get Antimicrosomal antibody test done for her. As regards the diet there is no specific diet that can really help one who suffers from hypothyroidism but patient of hypothyroidism should avoid some food (that contain goitrogens) like Cabbage , cauliflower, broccoli and sweet potatoes etc. Once the report of above tests mentioned is available you can send me the result so that further advice can be given. with best wishes Dr Chowhan