Suffering from hypothyroid, on 75 mcg dosage. Suggest what can be done?

hi doctor
i am XXXXXXX 32.5 years of age. i am suffering from hypothyroid from past 2 years after my son was born who was then 2 years. 6 months back i got my thyroid tested, it was 7. i am on 75 mcg dosage. please suggest what and how to do.
thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 37 hours later

The TSH target range for a person on treatment with hypothyroidism is 0.4 to 2, with free T4 levels in the high normal range. Studies show that patients feel best with this approach. There are a few exceptions to this general rule such as those who have had thyroid cancer in recent years, in which care higher doses are recommended to keep the TSH suppressed. Then in those with osteoporosis or heart disease, dose increments need to be small and cautious.

Assuming you have no such conditions, a dose increase is warranted in your case from 75 to 100. A conservative increase would be 88 but a scientific trial of each of these two doses would be needed to see how much your body requires.
So I suggest going to 100 daily for now and checking TSH and free T4 in 6-8 weeks and assessing if the TSH is in target range or not. For more information , peruse this weblink WWW.WWWW.WW