Suffering from hypogonadism. Taking sustanon 250. Can I impregnate my wife?

Mar 2013
hello im 28 years old male.. i am suffering from hypogonadism, i take sustanon 250 in injestions each month but sill my testerone levels are low as 300, i have been taking it since 5 months now..can i maintain fatherhood in future?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 18 minutes later
Firstly, father hood is determined by your semen analysis.
Could you please attach reports of your semen analysis, and your hormone levels, by which hypogonadism has been diagnosed ?
This would help me a lot in assisting and guiding you further.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Follow-up: Suffering from hypogonadism. Taking sustanon 250. Can I impregnate my wife? 21 minutes later
i have done semen analysis last month and it says azoospermia..and i did not attain puberty until i took sustanon 250 each month at the age of 16.. then as i got lot of pimples after taking it for 2 years i discontinued..After taking sustanon my testosterone levels were in range of 250 to 300 (last month's report) and without sustanon it was only 80 (5 months ago) previously.. I realized that my natural production of testosterone became low as i took sustanon..i look like 18 years or younger even-though my age is 28..Will taking HCG will help in producing natural hormone and maintaining fatherhood? Dr Tirthankar XXXXXXX of appollo prescribed me to take sustanon 250 each month..I have continued taking it for the last5 months.. Hope this info helps.. Looking forward to your reply..
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX,

There are two types of male hypogonadism: primary and secondary. Primary hypogonadism refers to a testosterone deficiency that stems from abnormal testicular function. Secondary hypogonadism is the result of problems with the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus, which controls the secretion of pituitary hormones. When messages from either of these sources become impaired, normal performance of the testicles is compromised.

There are numerous causes for primary hypogonadism such as undescended testicles, excess iron in the blood (known as hemochromatosis), an injury that causes damage to the testicles, mumps, and chemotherapy or radiation treatment. Klinefelter’s syndrome, which results in a male being born with an extra x chromosome, can lead to impaired testicular growth as well as problems in sperm production and is another cause of primary hypogonadism.

Secondary hypogonadism can be the result of pituitary disorders and inflammatory diseases that affect the pituitary gland. Also, Kallman’s syndrome, which affects the proper development of the hypothalamus, ultimately leads to a testosterone deficiency. Additionally, certain medications, like those used to help heartburn or control moods, can affect the level of testosterone produced by the body.

Sperm production cannot be stimulated in men who are infertile as a result of primary hypogonadism due to damage to the seminiferous tubules. On the other hand, sperm production can usually be stimulated to a level sufficient to restore fertility in men who are infertile as a result of secondary hypogonadism, ie, due to damage to the pituitary or hypothalamus.

Hence, your FSH and LH values will determine whether you have primary or secondary hypogonadism.

Accordingly, if the FSH and LH values are high, it is primary hypogonadism, and hormonal therapy will improve your symptoms, but not fertility. You will have to go for ART ( assisted reproductive technologies ) to bear children. With secondary hypogonadism, hormonal therapy might improve your fertility profile.

I hope I have clarified your doubt.
Follow-up: Suffering from hypogonadism. Taking sustanon 250. Can I impregnate my wife? 20 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your response..

Yes I remember i have done chromosome study before but it was normal..

I think i have Secondary hypogonadism which is involved with pituitary disorders as i don't get smell also... Though i will get fsh and Lh reports to you tomorrow..

For secondary hypogonadism will sustanon help in improving infertility profile? If yes then why its azoospermia in semen analysis?

looking forward to your reply..

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Secondary hypogonadism can improve spermatogenesis at times with hormonal therapy.
Only Sustanon ( progesterone ) is not enough, and you need LH supplementation also to stimulate spermatogenesis.
Of course, an overall view of your various factors needs to be taken, which is best assessed by a physical examination and appropriate blood testing ordered by an XXXXXXX / Urologist.
Do not go for tests on your own, but consult a reputed XXXXXXX / Urologist.
The semen analysis shows azoospermia, as you have taken only testosterone replacement which is not enough for fertility.