Suffering from hyperthyroidism. Not cured by carbimazole and propananol 40mg. Proper treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Email: YYYY@YYYY ,
Query: treating Hyperthyroidism for over 2yrs with carbimazole n propananol 40mg. the T3 & T4 had being fluctuation but the TSH had remain constant on the lower side of 0.005 (ulU/ml 0.270 - 4.20). kindly advise on what i need to do. Result as at 12/04/2012- T3 - 2.71 (nmol/lit 1.30 - 3.10), T4 - 112.30 (nmol/lit 66 - 181) TSH - 0.005 (ulU/ml 0.270 - 4.20).
28/06/2012- T3 - 4.60 (nmol/lit 1.30 - 3.10), T4 - 188.10 (nmol/lit 66 - 181) TSH - <0.005 (ulU/ml 0.270 - 4.20)
10/11/2012- T3 - 1.86 (nmol/lit 1.30 - 3.10), T4 - 102.00 (nmol/lit 66 - 181) TSH - 0.005 (ulU/ml 0.270 - 4.20).
Thanks
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The low TSH levels with almost normal T3 and T4 levels is suggestive of subclinical hyperthyroidism.
The drugs you are getting - Carbimazole and propranol can adequately control these mildly lowered levels but these medicines do need a careful dosage regulation after assessment of your clinical symptoms. You need to consult an Endocrinologist for proper dosage regulation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Suffering from hyperthyroidism. Not cured by carbimazole and propananol 40mg. Proper treatment? 2 hours later
Have being on this for a long time now. The issue I had was the proper care from the specialist. This is like the second time that am having this type of result. At a point in time, it got to hypothyroidism and I was placed on thyroxine (that was late last year) no proper monitoring it degenerated back to hyperthyroidism. Hence, this present state. Because of my experiences over time, that's why I decided to sort for advice online. I might not be a doctor but with the fluctuation shown on the past results I have this feeling that it should had being normal a long time ago but like you mentioned I need a proper care. I will be very grateful if you can refer me to a good specialist here in Nigeria if you can.just to add to my earlier reply
I had being placed on the following dosage for more than a year now.
Carbimazole 10mg (twice daily)
Propranonol 40mg. (twice daily). pending when i can get to a specialist. should i still continue with the dosage as stated above.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Since your TSH level is still on the lower side, you need to continue with these medicines.
I am sorry I do not personally know of any endocrinologists in Nigeria.
You will have to search for a specialist nearest to your place online.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from hyperthyroidism. Not cured by carbimazole and propananol 40mg. Proper treatment? 11 minutes later
okay, thanks

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
Hi.
You are most welcome.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards