Suffering from hypertension and cough. Not cured by medicine. Easy way to get cure?

ENT Specialist
Well, right now (at approx 4.30 am) been awakened by some kind of 'whooping cough', just as yesterday and the two days before that. It's very frightening experience, because of the almost endless stream of thick mucous shooting across my throat, threatening to cut off my breathing radically. Simultanuously spams like tiny electric currents are grating through my diaphragm. I have a 'diaphragmatic hernia', by the way. (I have been nursing a bout of flu, besides, for the past ten days). It might seem 'melodramatic', but yesterday and today I even contemplated suicide, on account of my impression of a gradual worsening of the situation (coughing combined with the spams.
O, I live in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, am a retired clinical psychologist (just turned 70 last August).
I went to see my family doctor yesterday and he prescribed: effervescent ACETYLCYSTEIN pills and an anti-biotic (AZITROMYCIN, 500mg). To no avail as yet. Finally, I also suffer from hypertension, reasonably in check now. That would not seem unusual at my age. All in all it's the coughing, mucous overload and the constant belly spams that are turning my life into some sort of hell now. I'd very much appreciate your advice, best regards,
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

According to the description, you seem to be suffering from acute sinusitis. Sinuses are the empty cavities in the skull to protect the brain. The acute infection and the inflammation of the sinuses are termed as acute sinusitis.

Following an attack of common cold or flu, there will be nasal congestion, because of which there is blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions inside the sinuses and increased viscosity of the sinus secretions. Stagnation of these secretions gives rise to headache and nasal infection. Once the infection sets in, the secretions constantly drain into the throat from behind the nose which will induce cough and throat discomfort.

Do not worry! This is a simple and common problem, with appropriate medications this can be taken care of. Azithromycin is not the drug of choice for this problem; you will require a better antibiotic. Finally, this does not look like whooping cough.

My suggestions to you are:

1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day, which helps in reducing the nasal congestion, clearing of the mucus and reducing the cough.
3. Avoid coffee and chilled beverages.
4. Try a course of potent antibiotic (such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime).
5. Try taking ambroxol or bromhexine instead of acetylcestine, to reduce the viscosity of the secretions and control cough.
Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon