Suffering from hypertension. On vaserectic and atenonol. Cholesterol is good. Suggest the cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i am sufferngi from hypertension. I was on vaserectic 10/25 and atenonol 50mg once per day for about 7 yrs. this was working . however or the past year it started to climb as high as 135 100. i was put on aldomet 250mg twice daily about 1 week ago , this is not working as the pressure is averaging around 130/95. Nefedipine or feldopine gets it down but the pulse is too high more than 100. i have been suffering with this illness since 26yrs. please advise me what to take. my cholesterol is good
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can start telmisartan

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

Nifedipine has adverse effect of tachycardia so your pulse is going high.
Its other side effects include pedal edema, sudden hypotension.
So I will advise to start Telmisartan 20- or 40 mg consulting your doctor.
As your cholesterol is normal that is good prognostic indicator.

Lifestyle changes and diet modification help in maintaining blood pressure in normal range. Making lifestyle changes is an important first step in the treatment of high blood pressure. In some patients, lowering sodium and alcohol intake, keeping weight in the ideal range, engaging in regular aerobic exercise, and stopping smoking may be sufficient to control high blood pressure. Such lifestyle changes can lower blood pressure as effectively as therapy with one blood pressure-lowering drug.
Alternative therapy like meditation, yoga also helps in maintaining blood pressure.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.