Suffering from hyperacidity, diarrhoea and stress. Feeling heart pounding. Any advice?

i have few queries regarding my health. i am aged 29 working as a IT professional weighted 76 kg height 5'7
2 months ago i had been suffering for hyperacidity and gas problem and work related stress. i was prescribed
revelol xl and raberite. i was told to stop revelol after 10 days. I was feeling good so far. last week was again tough for me my wife had to go abortion... after 2 days i was suffering for diaorreha. after than i start feeling my heart pounding some times when i am doing some critical work. One morning while i was having breakfast i a little pain
In my throat which went away after 10 mins. Another thing is when ever i tried to measure my bp my heart start
pounding looking at the bp machine.. i got variable reading of bp rising each time machine is hook to my arm
sometimes lower sometime higher. Here are the readings

1 one 172/99
2 one 145/85
3 one 171/112
4 one 151/86
All were taken on Thursday

On friday morning 137/93

Today again i tried to measure it i felt the same when bp machine was hooked
and my heartbeat increasd
reading was 151/97 and pusle 71.
apart for feeling anxieted i dont have any other symptoms. please advise.
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 48 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your mail with diligence.
Undoubtedly your job and home situation are conducive to stress. It is not stress (which is universal) it is how we react to it what matters. You have meticulously recorded BP readings and in my opinion you have to see a doctor to:
a). Rule out any primary cause of this Hypertension by physical examination & tests.
b). Prescribe a medicine as BP medicines are prescription medicine. and lastly
c). Follow you up. Including filling in the unfilled information about risk factors for coronary artery disease. Twenty nine is just the right age to start acting on prevention so that you do not have heart disease later in life. So let us start with risk factors.
At any age, following is the list of risk factors for future development of Coronary Artery Disease. Let me enumerate and you can place yourself the risk you are carrying ('*' means you have the risk factor, '+/-' means I do not know and about others you know better):-

Diabetes +/-
Obesity and Sedentary Life Style+/-
High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component +/-
Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%, LDL above 130 mg%, VLDL above 40 mg%,
Triglycerides above 150 mg%, Apolipoprotein B above reference value
Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component: +/-
Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab and
HDL below 40 mg% for man & and 50 mg% for woman
Family History 0f Coronary Heart Disease +/-
Increasing age*
Being a Man (as opposed to women) till the age 45*

From the list, above you have some risk factors. Hypertension, Stress, being a man and increasing age has been identified. Therefore, I will strongly recommend consulting your doctor; he may complete the list as well do the EKG / TMT to find out target organ damage due to hypertension.
It is never too late to change. With your weight everything you do will have to be under supervision. It need not be cardiologist but your primary doctor can guide your way back to health - I am happy to read that. You may need drugs and he/she (or ask the dietitian) to advise you about diet low in calories and cholesterol, advise you on quantum of exercise. You ought to keep your weight under control for you do not want other attack. If you like non vegetarian you cannot take red meat but there is no bar (in taking certainly quantity had to be less) on egg white, roasted chicken and roasted fish.
Exercise: Brisk walk at the speed of 5 KM/Hr for 40 minutes per day every day is enough aerobic exercise you need for keeping your heart healthy.
Now about stress. Please do this yogic exercise for ten minutes twice a day. will write about the progressive muscular relaxation which is used for non pharmacological treatment of blood pressure. This has opposite effect to heavy isometric exercise. Additionally, this is a great stress buster. It is called Savasana: corpse pose if literally translated.

No yoga session is complete without the final pose – Savasana. The body needs this time to understand the new information it has received through practicing yoga. Even though Savasana is a resting pose, it’s not the same a sleeping! You should stay present and aware during the five to ten minute duration of final relaxation.

1. Come to lie down on the back.

2. Let the feet fall out to either side.

3. Bring the arms alongside the body, but slightly separated from the body, and turn the palms to face upwards.

4. Relax the whole body, including the face. Let the body feel heavy.

5. Let the breath occur naturally.

6. To come out, first begin to the deepen the breath. Then move the fingers and toes, awakening the body.

7. Bring the knees into the chest and roll over to one side, keep the eyes closed.

8. Slowly bring yourself back up into a sitting position.

Here are some ideas on ways to use props during savasana to make this pose more comfortable and relaxing.

If there is any further query I will be most happy to answer asap. It is a pleasure interacting with you.
With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Suffering from hyperacidity, diarrhoea and stress. Feeling heart pounding. Any advice? 44 minutes later

Thanks for explaining in detail. Just need to ask you if it is ok for me to take revelol xl
for today since i am having the previous prescription with me. just need to know do i have to take
bp medication for rest of my life.

thanks XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 9 minutes later
Please take your medicine till next advice. Once you start following non pharmacological measures with doctor's suggestion only you can possibly discontinue medicines. That is a hope I have.

Dr Anil Grover