Suffering from high fever. Diagnosed with typhoid and urine infection. Developed rashes. Is this normal?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
hHi. My father is suffering from fever for last 15 days. The temperature goes up to 104 degrees and after taking medicine comes down between 101 to 102 degrees. But is not coming down to normal body temperature. His doctor had suggested for a blood test and confirmed typhoid and urine infection. He also has developed red rashes on his body. Is this normal and should we wait for another few days? WHat tests do you suggest. He has developed high blood sugar 230. When he was normal his sugar level was 1110 before food and 160 after food.
His doctor is asking us to have patience and says fever will come down. Should we go for a second opinion. He stays in Sambalpur, Orissa, India
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Allowing the fever to persist is XXXXXXX Such high grade fever accompanied by rash lately can most probably be typhoid. The tests done in the early phase can many a times be deceptivey negative.In fact if a clot culture along with widal is to be done now, it will surely yield results.
I would suggest the following
1. CBC
2. Widal test and clot culture
3. IgM and IgG antibody titers for dengue fever.
4. Liver function test
5. BUN, Creatinine and electrolytes.
In the mean time you should get him admitted to hospital and start antibiotic therapy intravenously. A watch has to be kept on his hydration status and urine output.Supportive antipyretic treatment needs to be started immediately.This will prevent 2 lethal conditions renal failure and febrile convulsions.
Please write back to me as soon as the reports are available.
I hope this answers your doubt.
With regards
Follow-up: Suffering from high fever. Diagnosed with typhoid and urine infection. Developed rashes. Is this normal? 9 days later
Hi Doctor,

In continuation to the above, my father was hospitalized for few days and the initiatial diagnosis was typhoid based on which the doctor had given him antibiotic injections. I have attached all the reports.

Now the fever has come down and he was discharged with antibiotic tablets. The course is complete. The fever has not come back now. The red rashes had also subdued.

However again today the red rashes has started re-appearing (though no fever now). He is extremely weak and is getting exhausted. When I re-consulted the doctor who was checking him and asked if some vacination can be given , the doctor said that it is not typhoid and vacine will not help.

Please suggest if the medication prescribed to him was correct. And whether the weakness is normal. Also, he has to travel to Guwahati on 21st nov for a marriage which cannot be changed. So do you suggest any vaccination or any other medication.

His fasting sugar now is 120.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
It is good to hear that the fever has disappeared. The rash component should also disappear shortly.
Weakness is bound to be present for quite some time. This is due to the increased metabolism caused by fever.For this the treatment would be good nutritious high protein diet along with vitamin supplements.
As all the reports were normal this appears to be a viral fever . Hence as the exact cause is unknown , no specific vaccine can be given.
I would advise complete rest , good nutrition , plenty of water and good vitamin supplements.
Regaining good normal apetite is a sign of health. If he has good apetite and he is asymptomatic then you can perhaps safely take him for the marriage.

I hope this answers your querry.
With regards.
Follow-up: Suffering from high fever. Diagnosed with typhoid and urine infection. Developed rashes. Is this normal? 58 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Are you sure this is not typhoid fever? Because only after the typhoid medicines were given, the fever came down.
Also, I guess the report states typhoid.

Please confirm. Also let me know if all the reports are normal.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 16 hours later
I went though the reports sent by you. As I had mentioned in my first reply it could be typhoid based on the details of symptoms you had given. The reports have confirmed the diagnosis. Now what is important is to prevent a relapse which is quite common with typhoid fever. For that a 14 day course of oral antibiotics namely ciprofloxacin 500mgms (1-0-1) after meals [twice a day]
He should refrain from eating or drinking any doubtful food items. Only home cooked food. No uncooked raw foods to be consumed.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards