Suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol. Feeling nausea and dizziness. Any suggestion?

Aug 2012

Hi Doctor, I am 27 years of age. For the past one month I feel Nausea and sometimes dizziness. I have High Blood Pressure (150/110); Diabetics (FV:110 and PP:196) and also high bad Cholesterol. My ECG, Echo and Tread Mill Test doesn't show any variation. At present I am not taking any medicine for any symptoms. Thanks, Praveen
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later

You certainly need medications for your blood pressure irrespective of the cause of high blood pressure.

The sugar level you have mentioned here is it tested for first time or are you already been diagnosed with higher sugars and the readings are after diet/exercise control/medications - these details are not clearly mentioned.

If it is for first time then you will need to follow strict lifestyle for both BP and sugars and sugars do not need treatment by medications as of now.

But if it is that you have already been trying your efforts of diet and exercise since minimum of three months then these sugars are unlikely to fall down further on themselves. So you will need medication like Metformin.

For the dose of antihypertensive medications, sugar medications and to decide that you are not at any contraindication for the medication you please see a good physician or Diabetologist

Nausea and dizziness might be part of your high blood pressure.
But most important matter is that I should know what your height and weight is? Do you have family history of diabetes and hypertension? Have you checked your thyroid profile ever? If so, was it normal? Do you smoke? If yes, how much? Any alcohol intake?

Hope this answered your query. Please provide the necessary details to know more about it. I will be pleased to answer any other queries that you might have.

All the very best and revert back with tests reports.

- Dr Madhuri
Follow-up: Suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol. Feeling nausea and dizziness. Any suggestion? 20 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for the reply.

Kindly go through the details that you were inquiring.

Both the tests for diabetics and BP has been done for the first time. My height is 180cms and weight is 90 kgs. I do not do any kind of exercise. I do not smoke or drink. I am a stock broker; so the job demands high pressure and unhealthy life style.

My father has high BP and Cholesterol and my mother is a diabetic. I have not tested for thyroid. I used to have more non-veg dishes than veg.

I have started to work out on my physique and also on diet. Will it be ok to retest after 3 months and go for mediction or should i start medication right away for blood pressure?

Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later

Yes, XXXXXXX You will have to start medications for blood pressure right away (in your case a combination of two drugs like Telma- AM would do good job). Also if your total cholesterol and LDL (the bad cholesterol) are high- LDL more than 100 in your case, then please start on cholesterol medication Atorvastatin also. For both of these things, please get appropriate prescription from a nearby physician.

As I mentioned earlier, for sugars (you have something called impaired glucose tolerance) you do not need medications as you can do well with lifestyle measures. Get your HbA1c test done for your records. Please follow diet and exercise very seriously. You are just 27 and a long way to go, so should give away all the unhealthy habits of not exercising, eating all heavily oiled nonvegetarian food and excess carbohydrates from chapati or rice, drinking lots of sweetened juices, artificial fruit drinks, aerated soft drinks, etc.

Please eat small - small meals with minimum oil. Use grilled fish in place of fried and heavily gravid fish/ meat. Eat oil-less phulakas/ plain veggie and rice. Eat 2 to 3 portions of fresh fruits available in local market- no need of fancy non-seasonal fruits. No butter. Cheese dish once a week. No egg yellow. No sweets.

Egg white you can eat as and when you want as it doesn't have both sugar and fat. Similarly you can also eat salad items like cucumber, tomatoes, carrots (the sugars in raw carrots is fine for you), sprouted beans- raw or steamed as and when you feel hungry as they are low fat and low sugar items. They give feeling of fullness, so when you cut down your food by 30 to 35 % all through the day, these items will give you a feeling of fullness to compensate for your usual quantity of food intake.

If your work has no fixed hours of a day, then also you can follow these food guidelines. Exercise has to be continued. Important positive aspects are that you do not smoke or drink alcohol. So the efforts taken henceforth will certainly help you improve your metabolic aspects and reduce your risk factors of getting full blown diabetes, heart disease, stroke, etc.

I hope this helps you. Do get back for any further clarification. And get tests done after 3 months and see the improvement.

All the best!!!