Suffering from hiccups. Feeling burning sensation and pain in lung. History of gastric problem. Any cure?

Since last 6-8 months, sometimes I start feeling burning sensation near the central part of the lung region. Also, when I press there, I feel some pain. Sometimes, I feel some tension and fast beat there. I also have a problem of hiccups and I feel blockage near my throat many at times. A year back, when i showed to doctor, He told that I have gastric problem and gave tablets by name PAN. I used it, though not completely. But I did not see any improvement.
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 58 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Your history of burning sensation at lung region, fast heartbeat, some tension is more likely to be indicative of gastro-esophageal reflux disease [GERD].

If symptoms are more severe after food and often worsens when lying down. It suggests more of GERD.

I would recommend you to take Cap Omez 20 mg, two times for two weeks. It is a prescription drug; please get it prescribed by a physician. It is best taken an hour before meals.

If symptoms do not come down, consult gastroenterologist who might add one more drug, where the combination needs to be taken for 2-4 weeks.

If symptoms continue, upper gastrointestinal endoscopy needs to be done.

Upper endoscopy diagnoses conditions in Throat, esophagus, stomach, and duodenum.

Along with drugs do lifestyle modifications as follows-

If you smoke, stop.
Avoid foods and beverages that worsen symptoms.
Lose weight if needed.
Eat small, frequent meals.
Wear loose-fitting clothes.
Avoid lying down for 3 hours after a meal.
Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, feel free to revert.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.