Suffering from hiatus hernia. On nexium 40mg for heart burn and reflux. Feeling lump in throat. Any solution?

Question
hi i was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia about a year and a half ago, and have been on nexium 40mg everyday since because i suffer from heartburn and reflux and its getting worse , i am constantly clearing my throat , constant thick phlem in the back of my throat , coughing to clear throat, snoring really badly not through my nose no problems there , constantly feel a lump in my throat and swallow not great either , the breathing is so bad a night my husband sleeps in the spare room and i even wake my self up so lack of sleep is becoming more and more .

please help
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Most of the patients with hiatus hernia have mild symptoms and can be managed with medications.However patients with large hiatus hernia or paraesophageal type hernia experience more severe symptoms and are managed with following measures besides medications
1... Head end of bed raised
2... Not to lie in bed immediately after food
3... Reduction of weight if you are overweight or obese.

If these measures fail and your symptoms are getting worse,then surgery is the option.
This surgery is called as NISSEN FUNDOPLICATION .
Surgery helps in prevention of herniation of stomach through the diaphragm and also prevents reflux of gastric acid.
Consult a surgeon and explore the possibility of laproscopic surgery where recovery is quick and without complications.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Suffering from hiatus hernia. On nexium 40mg for heart burn and reflux. Feeling lump in throat. Any solution? 6 hours later
I have tried all of these and I'm slightly overweight and tryin to lose it

what will I do

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello
Consult a gastro surgeon and explore the possibility of surgery as that seems to be the ultimate answer for your severe problem.
Thanks

Follow-up: Suffering from hiatus hernia. On nexium 40mg for heart burn and reflux. Feeling lump in throat. Any solution? 23 hours later
should I see a gastric doctor or an ent specialist obviously I need to see my own gp first for a letter of referral

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 38 minutes later
Hello
You must consult a gastro surgeon as your throat symptoms are most likely due to reflux only.
Thanks

Follow-up: Suffering from hiatus hernia. On nexium 40mg for heart burn and reflux. Feeling lump in throat. Any solution? 12 hours later
would taking the nexium at night help rather than morning im on 40mg and is it possible to take it twice a day rather than once

Hello
It is better if you take it twice a day half hour before meals.
Thanks