Suffering from hemorrhoids. Diet modifications?

Dear sir,
Pls. let me know the real reason of piles ,what are the food habits that’s prevents from this disease, actually one of my friends suffering from this disease from last one year.

Thanks & regards
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 30 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Piles also called hemorrhoids, are swollen and inflamed veins in anus and lower part of large intestine that is rectum. They result from straining during bowel movements or from the increased pressure on these veins such as in pregnancy. Don't worry as it is not something to panic about given that the symptoms can be easily controlled. It has become such a common occurrence due to sedentary lifestyle and easy availability of fast foods which are not usually XXXXXXX in fiber.

Since your friend has been suffering from it for the past one year, I would suggest you to get him examined by a proficient Doctor. He can also take a prescribed laxative.
* Soak his anal area in plain warm water 10 to 15 minutes two to three times a day, this is called Sitz bath.
* Keep the anal area clean by regular showers.
* Eat foods that are XXXXXXX in fiber like fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Avoid junk and spicy foods.
* Apply ice packs for relieving swelling.
* Drink 2 to 3 litres water and fluids a day.
* Increase physical activity, this will accelerate bowel movements and easy passage of stools.

Hope this answers your query, Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.