Suffering from hemorrhoid. Trying to quit using meth. How to get rid of this?

I am trying to help my husband quit smoking meth, any substitue that I can get for him please? he start suffering from hemmroid as well I dont know if it is related. PLease I got to help him!
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your efforts in helping your husband quit smokin Meth. Now, Meth is a powerful stimulant drug. Meth addiction can result in prominemt and unpleasant withdrawal symptoms while quitting, which is one of the major reasons why a person finds it difficult to come off the drug.

There are various claims of substitutes and supplements (mostly sold online) which supposedly help in easing the symptoms of withdrawal. But these claims are unvalidated and many of these substances themselves are addictive, and sometimes, even XXXXXXX I would suggest that the best option would be to get professional help for his meth addiction. There are effective medicines which can not only control his withdrawal symptoms, but also reduce the cravings / urges to take the drug. Since, Meth is a stimulant drug, persons withdrawing from it can often experience depressive symptoms, in addition to physical and mental fatique. So, certain anti-depressants are effective in preventing and controlling these symptoms and help the person stay relaxed.

In addition, he would also need professional counselling to improve his motivation and prevent him from going back to the habit. There are good psychological therapies like Motivational Enhancement Therapy which can give long-lasting results. Often persons with addiction problems need to be taught strategies and tactics to deal with future craving and prevent relapse. So, I think he would benefit a lot from professional help.

I would advise you to take him to a psychiatrist for further help - both in the form of medication and counselling - to help him overcome his meth addiction.

The hemorrhoids are unrelated to smoking meth and he needs a proper physical examination, in order to decide on treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist