Suffering from hemochromatosis, has high bilirubin level, feeling tired, constipation and sleeping problem. Suggest?

hi ,
my father is 62 years old... he is suffering from hemochromatosis...... now his bilirubin level is high as 5....... so he is feeling so tired.... and also constipation problem is there and he is not getting sleep it seems..... please let me know how about his condition..... is he in critical or what? and also his speech is also getting distracted....... and please let me know what to do next?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hospitalization is essential

Detailed Answer:

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Gastroentrology, working with an experienced Hepatologist. I answer on his behalf.

With bilirubin level 5 in a 62 year old , I would strongly recommend him to be hospitalized and observe the blood cells count and watch for other signs of siderosis.

I would not consider it critical but it would be essential for him to be investigated and observed well.

Also you can give him LACTULOSE syrup to reduce the constipation.

Hope, I answered your query.