Suffering from heavy hair fall and dandruff. Is there any solution available for this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
hi, i am XXXXXXX 26yrs old.i am suffering from heavy hairfall and dandruff for last .2months.i use to have a long and thick hair from my child hood.but from last two months due to hair fall my hair became very lean.I started having 2eggs daily and carrot juice.I am using XXXXXXX shampoo,but the hair fall increased when i started using any shampoo so i started using soapnuts.do i have any solution for this problem?can i get my healthy hair back.i am very worried regard this.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 21 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Causes of hair loss/thinning of hair are:
1. Environmental factors
2. Stress
3. Deficiency of certain minerals, vitamins & amino acids in diet. e.g. Iron, zinc, Vit B complex, lysine.
4. Hormonal factors. e.g. Thyroxine
5. Any incidence of surgery, shock, etc.

Management includes:
1. Treating the underlying cause
2. Avoidance of stress
3. Dietary modifications
4. Minoxidil solution to be applied locally to stimulate the hair follicles
5. Multivitamin & multi mineral supplementation

But these medications have to be used regularly under the guidance of a Dermatologist, as hair loss tends to return on stoppage of these medications.

And before initiation of these medications, the problem of dandruff should be addressed.

Dandruff is basically Seborrheic dermatitis & can be treated with shampoos or lotion containing salicylic acid, coal tar, ketoconazole, or selenium.

So, it will be better to consult a Dermatologist to find out the underlying cause & start treatment accordingly.

It is believed that it is normal to shed 100 hairs each day, which is based on the assumption that the average scalp has 100,000 hairs, and 10% of these are in the resting phase.

So, there is no need to worry.
Your hairs will grow back again.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.