Suffering from heaviness in head, mood swings and nausea. Is it safe to use betacap?

I am 33 yr old and have been suffering from heaviness in the head leading to partial or full headache including mood swings & nausea like feeling. Some times the eyes are paining. Consulted local physician & he suggested BETACAP TR 40 which if not taken regularly repeats the problem. Is Betacap a safe drug & does prolonged use of it leads to high blood pressure?
Shall I consult another physician. Please help
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 36 minutes later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

Betacap TR 40 (Propranolol) is an anti-hypertensive medication which has other uses such as the treatment of migrainous headache, certain anxiety disorders, etc. It is possible that your physician has started you on this medication for your headache problem and you say that it has given you good relief, when taken regularly.

Prolonged use of Betacap TR 40 does not lead to high blood pressure and it is a relatively safe & commonly used medication. The side effects which this medication could cause are dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, stomach discomfort, fluid retention, weight gain, etc. It also has to be used with caution in people who have asthma problems or cardiac disorders. But please remember that this is just a list of side effects and only a small percentage of people actually develop them.

It is advisable to take this medication as per your doctor's prescription and not alter the dose on your own. DO NOT double the dose or take extra medication if you have severe headache.

If your mood swings are significant, then I would also advise you to consult a psychiatrist to have have an assessment to see if you need any further help.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist