Suffering from heartburn. Getting bitter taste and saliva in mouth. What this could be?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I have been suffering from from heartburn for months, at least 3 days out of each week, and now I have a horrible bitter taste in my mouth and lots of saliva all the time. Do you know what this could be?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 18 minutes later

You most probably seem to be suffering from Gastro Oesophageal Reflux disease. It is aggravated by alcohol intake.

You should consult a gastroenterologist and start antacids like pantoprazole and prokinetics and still if it doesn't subside you may require endoscopy.

Hope this helps you. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

REGARDS
Dr Vineet

Follow-up: Suffering from heartburn. Getting bitter taste and saliva in mouth. What this could be? 2 days later
I have seen my GP and have been prescribed lansoprazole, the heartburn is getting better but the bitter taste in my mouth is getting worse, it is unbearable is there anything else this could be?

Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 1 hour later
Dear Friend, It takes these drugs few days to take full effect then probably bad taste will also go just be patient you could ask for a pro kinetic to be added for quicker relief . Regards Dr Vineet