Suffering from heartburn. Diagnosed with acid reflux and anxiety disorder. Chances of cancer or chronic disease?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I've had heartburn starting from 2 months ago. I'm 22 years old female, overall healthy. Saw doctor and did blood work/urine work. All normal. H.Pylori test negative. Diagnosed with acid reflux. Taking Prilosec (acid blocker) and does not seem to be helping. Heartburn goes away and comes back. Also I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. Could this be the cause or could it be that I am suffering from some sort of cancer or chronic disease?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Your information is suggestive of a classic stress related gastritis

The reflux symptoms need a prokinetic like domperidone along with prilosec

And the treatment needs to be continued for atleast four to six weeks before you can expect a cure

It does not seem to be any sort of cancer ?

Manage your stress levels and go for meditation and regular excercise

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Suffering from heartburn. Diagnosed with acid reflux and anxiety disorder. Chances of cancer or chronic disease? 53 minutes later
Thank you so much for your response. This is what I was thinking too. I am just concerned about the heartburn coming back again and again. Do you know what similar medicine like domperidone I can get in the United States? How much longer would you suggest I take the Prilosec? Would you suggest an appointment with a gastroenterologist?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 24 hours later

You may take somthing like Itopride

Prilosec may go on for atleast six weeks as safety reports have been established for fifteen years now

As of now you do not need to go for a gastroentrologist in case this does not rspond you may go for an upper G I Endoscopy

Am there for followup queries
Get well soon