Suffering from headaches, pain in the eye. Sinusitis? Had removed small basal cell sarcoma. Are these related?

i have been suffering with sinusitis symptoms for 3 weeks e.g. mild headaches,pressure in face,irritated skin in face,pain behind the eye etc. I have also just had what my doctor suspects is a small basal cell sarcoma removed from my right temple(it had been there for about 8 months)
could the two things be related?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I will provide you with some information and recommendations regarding your concern.

Sinusitis and Basal cell carcinoma results from damage to the DNA of skin cells which occurs over time leading to the development of the carcinoma which is malignant but very treatable.

Sinusitis on the other hand is triggered by allergies or infection. A typical sinusitis will resolve over a week or so but occasionally the tissue becomes so inflamed that medication is required including medicines such as Flonase or XXXXXXX 10 or even prednisone. These medications help the tissue become less swollen. In the setting of infection antibiotics are used in order to help alleviate the inflammation.

Again in your case the carcinoma is completely independent of your history of sinusitis. The carcinoma develops over a period of many many years due to damage to the DNA of the skin cells.

Again these are two distinct elements which are not related. The carcinoma is certainly treatable with local removal.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I'm available if you have any follow-up concerns. Otherwise please except my response.

Dr. Robert