Suffering from headaches. Had crossed eye in childhood. What could be the cause?

Nov 2013

When I was small my left eye (which has always been nearly blind) was crossed until I reached 14. I woke up one morning and it wasn't crossed, which was one happy day, I'll tell you that. Anyway, I have been having major major migraines since around that time. It starts with a halo that twists like electricity sometimes going for 20 minutes and then it stops, and I get a splitting headache about 15 minutes later. I went to an optometrist who was very well known and he checked for a tumor with his methods and also did a few tests. After I mentioned floaters, he noticed I had a TON in both eyes. They all of a sudden appeared about a year before this visit. He told me to go see a neurologist to further check the problem because he couldn't accurately diagnose me with the cause, he just explained the conditions. Another thing to note was my father says my eye crossed at a very very early age after being bitten by ticks on the side of my head. We lived in a pine XXXXXXX and I was apparently bit many times. Can you shed some light on the possibilities of what might be going on? I very much appreciate you and this service. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Your symptoms suggest migraine with visual aura. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your symptoms. These are suggestive of a diagnosis of migraine with visual aura. The halo with twisting like electricity is the visual aura, that happens before the headaches in migraines, which are then followed by headaches. These headaches are often on one side of the head, but can affect both sides too. There may be a feeling of nausea or vomiting. Headaches tend to get worse with bright lights and noise. In your case, I would also advise an MRI scan of brain to exclude any internal brain problem. Migraines can be well treated with medications such as topiramate, beta blockers, divalproex, etc. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: