Suffering from headache, ringing ear and runny nose. What treatment should be done?

Nov 2013

Hi- I have had a headache 24 hours per day for about 3 weeks. The headaches vary in intensity, and cme in waves. Pain is usually felt at the base of my skull where it meets my spine. When I feel one of these come on, I also get a taste in my mouth, somewhat metallic, a ringing in my ears, and I feel poorly. I want to lie down for a while. I feel almost poisened. Along with these symptons, my nose feels like it is running, but there is nothing there.
I was being treated for sinusitis, but the antibiotics have done nothing to alleveiate these symptons.
What do you think please?
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely cause of your headaches could be "muscle tension headache".

In this condition, pain is located at the back of head and upper part of neck. This may come intermittently. Massage of the affected area gives relief. There is no vomiting or nausea in this condition.

For symptom relief, you may take analgesics such as diclofenac or ibuprofen. Small dose of amitryptyline may also be useful.

If symptoms persist, you may consult a neurologist.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad