Suffering from headache and mild depression. Is it safe to take ensival 25mg?

Question
i m suffering from headache & mild depression. I have been advised sensival 25 mg & restfull ( Manufacturer Lupin Ltd) once daily at night by neurophyscian.

Pl guide me whether is this proper.

Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 11 minutes later

Before I respond to your question, let me tell you that the causes of headache are many and this can be due to sinusitis, migraine, tension headache, cluster headache, brain tumor/infection, problem in the blood vessels and so on. Further, the presence of associated complaints like vomiting, nausea, any proceeding signs before headache and weakness of legs/hands etc will help us clarify the diagnosis.

With the limited information, I feel that you may be having tension headache and/or migraine. Note that these are the diagnoses of exclusion.

Mostly you will benefit with rest, relaxation, regular food and sleep habit along with medicines. Sensival is chemically nortryptyline commonly used for the management of migraine/tension headache. I completely agree with your doctor and this will help you. This medicine may be withdrawn once your are stable, but slowly and gradually.

I hope that I have answered your query.
If you have further questions, please feel free and get back to me.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Suffering from headache and mild depression. Is it safe to take ensival 25mg? 22 hours later
Sir,

My Dr neurophysician diagnoses my problem as tension headache.

I have been advised by dr two(2) medicine

i) Sensival 25 mg (of Wallace )
ii) Restfull ( of Lupin Ltd)

once daily at night by neurophysician.

My question is since both the medicine is for anti depression, whether my dr advised me rightly or by mistake advised for two medicine.

Whether second medicine is alternate of first.

Previously i was taking tryptomer 25 mg. Pl advise which one is better.

Thanks & Regards

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 4 hours later

Thanks for the feed back

I completely agree with your doctor that you have tension headache. Both sensival and tryptomer are the same group of medicine and you may opt one of this medicine.

So far as the Restfull (of Lupin) is concerned, I think you may check the chemical formula. I think it is malatonin. If so, this can be used with Sensival or tryptomer.

Hope this clarifies your query
In case any doubts, please get back to me
I will be very happy to clarify further.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Suffering from headache and mild depression. Is it safe to take ensival 25mg? 19 hours later
DEAR SIR

FORMULA OF RESTFULL is as under

FLUPENTIXOL .05 MG
+
MELITRACEN 10 MG

please clarify my query

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 11 hours later

If you do not have any other medical problem except tension headache, I think you can be on single medicine that is Sensival or Tryptomer

Generally Restfull is not suggested for tension headache. Kindly check with your physician

Hope this clarifies. Let me know if you have other concerns.