Suffering from hard stools. Cause? Remedy?

Hello, I have a hard time going to restroom(daily) and for a long time -years that I have had hard stool. Sometimes my stool has gooey yellowish/brownish slimy stuff in it when I wipe or I can see it in toilet. I haven't been to doctor about this problem but 4 months ago I did have blood work done and only issue was my vitamin d was low, cholestorel was just a tiny bit high for my age (30). Other than that it was ok. What can cause this problem and what can I take to help make it better and easier to go daily? Thank-you
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The slimy description implies that mucus is in the stool. It is normal to find a small amount of mucus in the stool but if it is at the point where it is visible then it is abnormal.
Excess mucus may be related to inflammation of the intestine , this may occur in conditions such as crohns or ulcerative colitis, bile acids in stool, it can also result from too much fat in the stool for example in situations where there is poor absorption. Deficiency in bile acids can occur if there is inflammation or other disease of the liver ,it can also occur with gallstones.

You should consider asking your doctor for a stool analysis or culture. This would identify if there is any specific abnormality that requires treatment.

Constipation is the presence of hard stool or where a persons passes less than times a week.
To help with that you should consider: using at least 8 glasses of water a day
(2) use at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables (this means fruits and /or vegetables with each meal and with your snacks)
(3) use high fiber foods such as oats, wheat, brown rice , brown flour
(4) keeping active is thought to help with constipation

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions