Suffering from hansen's disease, tingling and pain all over body. On pregalin 75. Required treatment?

I am suffering from Hansen's Disease (pain in both feet, weakness in feet, difficulty in holding slippers, difficulty in walking & tingling & numbness in legs and arms. and the treatment suggested is 1) Hansepran 50mg daily 1 tab, 2) Dapsone 100 mg daily 1 tab, (3) R-cin 600mg monthly once i've been gone through the test of Motor neuropathy. To correlate clinically XXXXXXX "Small Fibre Neuropathy" F-Wave Studies: Nerve --- M-Latecy --- F-Latency Tibial.R-- 18.0 ---- 59.2 Median.R-- 3.6 ---- Ulnar.R ---- 10.3 ---- 36.1 Treatment given: Pregalin 75 daily twice & Remylin D daily once I've tingling and pain in all over the body and can't feel good, suggest me further tests and diagnosis process to be done. Thanking you sir, YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

At this stage, given that you are receiving the best treatment available for this, no further tests are needed.
Hansen's disease in most cases typically presents with Polyradiculopathy due to Lepra bacilli multiplication in the nerve sheaths and causing subsequent damage to the nerves. This is a process where the nerves start getting affected and that is why you have the tingling, etc

This process can be brought to halt by reducing the bacterial multiplication.The drugs like Hansepran, Dapsone, R-cin are very specific for reducing the bacterial load.These will surely halt the process of the nerve damage.

The recovery of nerve conduction hence its function to reduce the symptoms you have, is mainly by the drugs like Pregalin and Remylin D.These may take sometime in months to show response in-terms of nerve axon regeneration.Hence, I consider there would be no necessary of any more tests to ascertain the diagnosis or prognosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Suffering from hansen's disease, tingling and pain all over body. On pregalin 75. Required treatment? 9 hours later
Thanks for your quick answer,

I've tingling and pains in all joints of my body and BARELY I'm surviving.

I don't even recognized when my foot is burned & got a bubbles on my foot because of contact with a Bike Silencer. Even i couldn't recognized when i stepped on fire and when my son pinned a needle in my leg.

I feel better when my Kid do some massage to my body (He walks on my Body).
As I am a Computer Operator, I can't even type on my Key Board.

What I need to know is, Is there any better medicine to get recover from these symptoms...... and I feel that, I don't have good circulation in my Legs why I am saying is, my wound is not bleeding well when i scratch it....

Please let me know if i have any better medicine to recover from tingling, burning of my body.........

Thanking you....
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Steroids would better medication which help in nerve regeneration but they are contraindicated in your condition as it can worsen the infection.

Pregalin though act slow is the best medication for your symptoms.You can consult your treating doctor for increment in the dosage of Pregalin to see better effect.

The blood circulation can also get hampered in later stage of the illness.A best remedy for the same would be Physiotherapy.Do consult a physiotherapist who shall advice you exercises which will help to maintain the blood circulation and ones which help in regaining the muscle and nerve power.

Wish you good health.