Suffering from hair loss and thinning. No family history. Suggest medicines and diet for the same?

I am suffering from hair loss and thinning of hairs. This is not hereditary as no one from my family has any medical history regarding hair loss. Please suggest me what to do. Also suggest me medicines/diet for the same.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 18 minutes later
Thanks for the query and photograph.

Hair loss in males is mainly androgenic in nature.
Mainly the hair in front of scalp is sensitive to androgen (testosterone) and hence there is loss of mainly frontal hair.

There can be two modalities of treatment.

1. To counter the action of testosterone medication like androanagen or finasteride can be used.

2. To increase the blood supply to hair Minoxidil oil can be used.

We prescribe both the treatment together to have an added effect.

Apart from this take diet XXXXXXX in Iron and vitamins, this includes spinach, jaggery, pulses and sprouted grains.
These help in hair growth.

Let me know if you any further doubts.

Thank you
Follow-up: Suffering from hair loss and thinning. No family history. Suggest medicines and diet for the same? 1 hour later
Please tell the duration for which I have to take the medicines/oils. Also tell me how to take the medicines (no. of times in a day). Suggest me what I have to avoid in food or in any other thing so that the problem does not get any worse.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

Finasteride is a prescription only medications; hence unfortunately you need to get it prescribed by your local doctor.

I generally suggest minoxidil 5% solution twice daily and androanagen twice daily to my patients.

You can consult a dermatologist nearby and take a prescription for all these drugs.

You don't need to avoid any diet. There is no food which can cause hair fall.