Suffering from hair loss. Not cured by iron capsule and multivitamin. Suggest effective treatment?

I am a 21 year young girl who is suffering for over a year from severe hair loss through hair thinning. I have undergone a battery of tests including measurement of Prolactin levels (which at its height was H 52.5 but now is H 29.19), Selenium Serum (H 205.90), Zinc Serum ( L 60.95), Ferritin (L 10.6 but after intravenous dose of 4 vials is now 58.1). I have been advised Iron capsules, nutrition XXXXXX diet, multivitamins etc. none of which seems to have made any difference. Please diagnose my condition and suggest treatments to immediately arrest hair fall and subsequent hair regrowth.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi dear ,

Thanks for writing in.

Cause of hair loss in your case can be Diffuse hair loss or Androgenetic alopecia.

Androgenetic alopecia manifests with thinning of hair , receding of frontal hairline ,
bald patches in central parting of hair.It has a family history of similar patterned hair loss in father/grandfather/mother.

Do you have any of this?

Second type is diffuse hair loss.In which there is no specific pattern.Hair fall is only increased.Hair by appearance look normal .Stress , pollution, faulty diet and lifestyle, excessive use of hair cosmetics/dyes/colors, hair spa treatments/straitening procedures can cause hair loss.

Do you have any of these?

Have you undergone thyroid function test?

Pls answer the following to help you better.

Hairs are indicator of general health.
When you improve general health hair loss will also decrease.

You can take multivitamin supplements containing zinc, biotin ,copper,amino acids etc they are building blocks for hair.

In general measures you should
- avoid stress, maintain good diet ,adequate sleep,regular exercise.Keeping good general health will add to treatment.

-Take one fruit every day.Take lemon juice and other citrous foods as they are XXXXXX in vitamin C and anti oxidants.

-Do not comb when hairs are wet.

-Use widely spaced comb with rounded teeth(not sharp ends).

-Avoid hot water for bathing(use lukewarm water)

-Avoid hardening gels/ harsh colors/chemicals on scalp.

-Avoid direct sunexposure/heat/wind exposure to your hair.

-You can use nizoral shampoo for hair wash.

Please upload your photos of your scalp areas(2-3) with UPLOAD YOUR REPORTS section on right side of the page.

Photos will be further useful to provide specific advise.

Mesotherapy is a new good treatment option.Discuss this option with your dermatologist.
Hope this helps you .
If you have any further queries feel free to ask them.

Follow-up: Suffering from hair loss. Not cured by iron capsule and multivitamin. Suggest effective treatment? 2 hours later
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I have uploaded 3 photos which show thinning on the sides and on the central part of the scalp. My responses to your queries are as follows:
1) I have thinning hair on the central parting and on the sides (the area above the ear).There is no receding of hairline.
Father had premature balding.
Mother has very thick hair.

2)My thyroid readings are as follows:

Free T3 - 2.82
Free T4 - 1.12
TSH - 2.134

3) My Selenium levels are high (Selenium - 205.9 ug/L)
Zinc levels are low (60.95 ug/L)
Ferritin levels were low (10.6Ng/mL) but through injections have been increased to 58.1

4)My hormone levels are:

DHT serum - 215 pg/mL
Testosterone - 23.56 ng/dL
Luteinizing Hormone - 1.89 miu/mL
Follicular Stimulating Hormone - 6.22 miu/mL
Progesterone - o.21 ng/ml
Estradiol - 54.98 pg/mL
DHEA Sulphate - 129 (range 35-430ug/dL)

I would like you to specifically analyse and comment on the connection between the diagnostic reports and hair loss and also comment on the type and severity of thinning as well as treatment options to immediately arrest thinning and promote regrowth.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi again ,

Thanks for the details.

I could see your photos.

It is clear from the photos that you have androgenetic alopecia(AGA).

Your thyroid and other hormonal panel is normal.

Treatment of AGA in females is difficult because hormone blocking drugs like FINASTERIDE cannot be given in females.Which can be given in males.

Treatment for AGA involves Minoxidil /saw palmetto/copper peptides/ biotin supplements.

Also a few hormonal treatments can be started in you.

mesotherapy and dermaroller are a new effective treatments available.

Biobeam light therapy and hair growing serum are also emerging treatment.

My advise to you would be to visit a qualified dermatologist which can offer you the above mentioned treatments.

Mesotherapy would be a very good option in your case.

Apply Ketoconazole lotion thrice a week .Apply at night ,keep it overnight and wash it off in morning.It will have a good effect in stoping the thinning.

I will be available for follow up.

You can also ask a question directly to me by quoting ASK DrSudarshan in question.

With right treatment hair fall can be stopped and regrowth is also possible.

Female with AGA have good prognosis.They dont go bald like Men with AGA do in few years.

Follow-up: Suffering from hair loss. Not cured by iron capsule and multivitamin. Suggest effective treatment? 2 days later
Just had one query. If as you say it is androgenic alopecia then why did finasteride 5 -a powerful anti-androgen - which was administered to me for a month not help me at all? It did not even arrest or stall the process of hair loss.
I need something to immediately arrest the hair loss. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 35 minutes later
Hi again,

As you have said finasteride is very effective in androgenetic alopecia.

It takes 3 months to start effect.New hair growth starts at 6 month and peak effect is seen at 9 months .

You need to have patience.

Use ketoconazole lotion like KTC lotion on alternate day.apply at night and wash in morning.

You will have results in weeks.

Hope this helps.