Suffering from hair loss. Family history of loosing hair. What are the side effects of medicine to control baldness?

I've started loosing too much hair these days.Although I agree that its hereditary in my family is there a way I can control me turning bald for a longer time ?

I've heard there are some side effects if medications are used to control baldness.Not sure though.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
Androgenetic alopecia or heriditary baldness is controllable through medications like topical minoxidil in desired concentration and oral supplements.
The effect lasts till the medication is applied and hence cant be stopped.
Oral medication like finestride is also prescribed for the same problem and has side effects like loss of libido and hence is not prescribed normally.
Oral supplements like biotin and calcium pentothenate dont have any side effects.You can visit a qualified dermatologist to start a treatment and discuss the options avilable. the earlier you start the treatment , more the hair you can save.

Dr.Rohit Batra