Suffering from hair loss. Developed baldness, want to go for hair transplant. Suggest?

Dermatologist
Question
hi, I am 28years old suffering from hair loss. It is hereditary and now I have developed a male pattern baldness for which, i have no other option other than Hair Transplantation. Now, I have consulted two doctors, which are Dr. XXXXXXX Safaria (mumbai), and the other one dr. XXXXXXX Halder(Delhi) . I am confused so as to get treatment from which of the two. Please guide me as for hair transplant's an experienced and skilled surgeon is required. Please advice me where to go?? Dr. XXXXXXX Safaria or Dr. XXXXXXX Halder . Please reply at the earliest. I am from kolkata where both the doctors frequently visits for hair transplantation.
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare magic
I saw the picture you posted. Most of the hair looks greyish and you are just 28 yrs old. There is premature greying of hair.
You lost this much hair over a period of how many months or years ?
Is there any areas of scarring over the scalp ?
Did you have any well defined patches of hair loss like circles or oval shaped areas ?
Is there any history of thyroid disease or anemia ?
When did you have typhoid and jaundice and was it before the onset of your hair fall ?

Before you jump into a decision to do hair transplantation, it is better to confirm whether this is actually male pattern baldness. Looking at the photo you have sent I am not so sure. Can you send me a close up of your scalp photo with better clarity?

Waiting to hear from you .
Dr Johny Chacko
MBBS, MD

Follow-up: Suffering from hair loss. Developed baldness, want to go for hair transplant. Suggest? 9 hours later
You lost this much hair over a period of how many months or years ?- i have a thin and less hair from birth. Earlier it didnt used to fell, but nowdays my hair is becoming more thin and less dense.

Is there any areas of scarring over the scalp ? NO , its just that I have applied Minoxidil solution (10%), hence it must be looking to you as a premature greying. It is not actually. The colour of my hair is light brown.

Did you have any well defined patches of hair loss like circles or oval shaped areas ?- Yes, A baldness triangle is getting formed, also thae hair line is receding

Is there any history of thyroid disease or anemia ?- NO

When did you have typhoid and jaundice and was it before the onset of your hair fall ?- 12 years before... Yes, it was before the on - set of my hair fall.

Please come to a point and guide me , so as to get transplantation from which of the above two specialist?? I have already discussed this with many of the clinics and I certainly need a hair transplant.
So please answer .. Dr XXXXXXX Safaria( MD- DR HAIRS Clinic, Mumbai) or Dr. XXXXXXX Halder (Working at Moolchand general Hospital and other Clinics in delhi and west bengal)?? Answer it straight please. I want the best option of the two.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 13 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome back. Thanks for the close up.
The choice of hair transplantation has to be taken after they explain to you what exactly they are going to do ?
Details like whether follicular unit extraction or follicular unit transplantation ?
Which is the donor site ? Back of scalp or body hair ?
If you take hair from back of scalp because your hair is thin will the surgical suture XXXXXXX be seen through the hair ?
How costly is the procedure ?

If you are asking me to choose between Dr XXXXXXX Safaria and Dr XXXXXXX I will choose Dr XXXXXXX as he has completed general surgery MS and plastic surgery.
Hope this helped

Follow-up: Suffering from hair loss. Developed baldness, want to go for hair transplant. Suggest? 22 minutes later
Donor side is the back of the scalp.
Follicular unit extraction would cover only the bald area without any marks on the donor side, whereas follicular unit transplantation would cover the head and improve the density , but there will be a scar XXXXXXX at the back of the scalp as said by the doctors, which may get covered up by hair growth later on.

Please advise me so as to go for which treatment?? FUE or FUT??
Also i have heared of DR.Pathuri XXXXXXX (Hyderabad) who does FUT , and the scar which gets formed at the back of the scalp is minimised by some treatment given by him.
The cost of FUT is also cheap(around 1$/graft), whereas 2$/graft is the cost of FUE.
Now please advice- FUT by Dr. XXXXXXX or FUE by Dr. XXXXXXX Halder??? please answer it straight
Thank you

Hello XXXXXXX
In my experience I have seen quite a lot of post transplant scars over the occipital scalp in thin haired people and it is quite prominently visible in such patients.
Your hair is thin and you give a history that it has been thin from chilhood. So hair growing above the scar and hiding it is possible but unlikely.
Therefore I will advice FUE if you can afford.
I will recommend you to go to Dr XXXXXXX as follow up with doctor in Hyderabad will be difficult.
Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.