Suffering from hair loss. Any good side effect free medication to stop it?

Dermatologist
Question
Medical History
my dad side all bold, their boldness pattern starts after 29 yrs old and my mon side not bold, im starting to see my hair goes thinner, any advice? whats my chance of losing my hair? any good side effect free medication to stop it ?

thanks
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later
Dear Patient,
Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX
Androgenic alopecia or male pattern baldness is a heriditary condition and usually transfered through patients father and hence if you have a family history you might develop the same .
Minoxidil solution , finestride etc are drugs that are advised to control the disease and do carry a side effectprofile too. Suchh drugs can only be prescribed after a proper history and examination.
Usually its seen that once the body hair starts erupting the baldness starts and more the body hair , more the chances of going bald. Though some exceptions are always there.
Earlier the treatment is started , more are the hair which can be saved for later years.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Suffering from hair loss. Any good side effect free medication to stop it? 17 hours later
OK Minoxidil solution i heard that once u use it and stop you will loose you rhair quickly is that true?
do i need to stay on it all my life?

thanks

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 days later
Dear Patient,
Thanks for your follow up query and sorry for the delay in replying.
Yes, you are right when you say that minoxidil solution once stopped can led to a quick loss of hair and hence cant be stopped.
We start with a higher concentration and more no. of applications per day and slowly decrease the concentration and no. of applications for a sustained effect.

Dr.Rohit Batra