Suffering from hair graying. What is the cause and what should I do to reverse hair colour?

Sep 2012

For ages i have been suffering from hair graying, it started when i was 17 and gradually it converted everything.(I'm 30 now)
I think it all started because of consumption of tea/coffee/aerated drinks.
I wanted to know if there is any chance of reversing it by taking vitamins/mineral supplements?
What minerals/vitamins does tea/coffee take away from hair that inturn causes graying ?
Additional Info:
I have poor liver functioning ( taking liv52, udiliv300 & hepa merz pills for the last 3 months).Feeling more energetic now. I dont have Fatty Liver disease.
I have accelerated bile in blood, eyes are normally yellow due to the poor liver functioning..
Does liver disease(or poor functioning) cause hairgraying..?
Please advise me food/supplements that give nourishment for my hair & its color...?
How long should i follow to see any change in my haircolor..?
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 43 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Firstly, you have to understand that hair graying may occur due to
1.     Genetic abnormality. It is hereditary.
2.     Liver disease / poor liver functioning (as in your case).
3.     Hypothyroidism
4.     Smoking.
5.     Excessive intake of oily food / tea / coffee / alcohol.
6.     Vitamin and micronutrients deficiency.
7.     Stress.

You can get back your hair color. It is a long process. You have to wait for long time to get the normal hair color back. Minimum 6 to 7 months are required.

So, you have to do the followings.
1.     Do some aerobics to get relieved from stress.
2.     For liver disease, continue the drugs you are taking. But consult with a gastroenterologist for any other investigation and for a better management.
3.     Take a good multivitamin agent.
4.     Avoid the foods mentioned above.
5.     Avoid alcohol / smoking.
6.     Eat foods XXXXXXX in iodine such as banana, carrots and fish.
7.     Rub Amla mixed in coconut oil into the scalp regularly.
8.     Make a mixture of crushed ginger and honey. Take this mixture 1 teaspoon every day.
9.     Massage your hairs with coconut oil and lemon juice every day.
10.     Do a thyroid profile test including TSH, T3, T4. If any abnormality seen, consult with an endocrinologist.

So, you have to follow with the follow the instructions mentioned above and consult with a gastroenterologist for your liver problem.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Suffering from hair graying. What is the cause and what should I do to reverse hair colour? 30 minutes later
Thank You very much for your elaborate reply....
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 29 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

If you have your answers you may close this discussion.
Rating and review given by you will be appreciated.