Suffering from hair fall and itchy dandruff. How to prevent hair loss?

Jul 2012

Dear Sir,

Iam XXXXXXX age 27, Weight 72 kg. i had a hair loss problem, My hair is falling frequently while comibing, while bathing. Getting lots of dandruffs. Sometimes its itching. I cant able to resist the hair fall. My health condition is normal since my childhood. Only one surgery during my child birth. I had taken some hairloss oil in medical shop which was worthless. Kindly advice to prevent the hair loss and maintain good lenthy hair. Expecting your reply in this regard.

Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXXX
I note your problem & empathise with you.
Dermatology however is a hands-on subject & no single treatment for hair loss is complete unless tailored for an individual person.
Please do apply any 2% ketoconazole shampoo (eg Nizoral) on your wet scalp & leave it in contact for 15-20 mts twice/week. This should reduce your dandruff.
Do NOT handle your hair too much; try combing only once/day & use a broad toothed comb & avoid rollers/brushes & any cosmetic procedures eg straightening of hair etc & oils applied locally.
Please use a 2% minoxidil lotion on your dry scalp applied twice/day to help reduce your hair loss & promote growth over a 1 mth period.
Trust this will help you in the interim.
However, in addition, i recommend you visit a dermatologist of choice in your area or if you like, if you are kind enough to let me know your area, i would be happy to recommend a colleague. Good Luck & Happy Republic Day!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
Bangalore, India.
Follow-up: Suffering from hair fall and itchy dandruff. How to prevent hair loss? 23 hours later
Dear Sir,

Seasons greetings and best wishes!

Thanks for your advice. As per your suggestion let me consult a dermatoligist in locale around my area. Since iam staying in Thanjavur (Tamil nadu), kindly let me know any reference from your end.

Also kindly advice that what are the causes of the dandruff problem and hair loss probelem.

how to prevent it and what kind of step to be taken care of.

Will undergoing dermatoligist's treatment test is more effective to bring the solution of hairloss and dandruff?

Kindly reply.

Firstly, apologises at the outset because i fail to recollect a specific name in Thanjavur. However, you may look up our XXXXXXX directory.
Alternatively, Bengaluru is not that far away & you are most welcome to come across to Bangalore & XXXXXXX with me.
Yes to the last question as the type of hair loss et al has to be taken under consideration before suggesting treatment.
Dandruff is a multifactorial problem with infection, stress, hormonal effects, medications etc all playing a role in determining its causes. Hence the need to see a dermatologist to discuss details as it is is different for individual people.
Good Luck & wish you a happy Republic Day. Please do close the query if done & welcome a rating. Please follow the advice given overleaf till you XXXXXXX with a dermatologist! I belive Wannakum in Tamil is in order :) Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital/Altus Diagnositc centre, XXXXXXX Market, Richmond Town,
Bengaluru, India.