Suffering from gastritis and irritable bowel movements. Looking for cure

When I have a bowel movement, there are up to 8long thinish stools each time. This has been happening for some months now. Sometimes it is hard to pass a stool which leaves me thinking there will be just the one stool but there are lots. There is no blood. I have bowel movements about 4times each day and each time it is the same. I have pains which i can only describe as that of a tummy bug. I feel sick every day. When I pass wind, the smell is offensive. I can pass wind up to 60times a day!! This is no exaggeration. It becomes quite distressing.
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 51 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. From your symptoms the possibility of irritable bowel syndrome is important to be ruled out. It is characterized by mild to severe abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating and alteration of bowel habits like alternate constipation and loose stools.

For ruling out the possibility of irritable bowel syndrome, you have to consult a gastroenterologist as it can be a very difficult diagnosis to make. IBS is called a diagnosis of exclusion, which means that your doctor has to rule out other possibilities first.

The possibility of any intestinal obstruction causing thinned stools and pain abdomen should also be ruled out. You may need to get a CT scan abdomen or a colonoscopy done.

Till that time, make some lifestyle changes. Alterations in diet, like gradual addition of more fibre in your diet like whole grain breads, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables & fruits can ease your symptoms. Avoid taking cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans and lentils, caffeinated drinks (tea, coffee) aerated drinks, fried and spicy foods.

Also drink plenty of fluids and water and try to stop smoking or alcohol if there is history of intake of any such substance. Also start doing daily exercises, brisk walks, XXXXXXX breathing exercises which help in preventing constipation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.