Suffering from gastritis. Not having abdominal pain or blood in stool. IBS or colon cancer?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi, I am just curious about what may be wrong. I do have an appointment to see a general surgeon, but it is 2 months away. My family doctor did not provide me with any information about my symptoms, aside from giving me a referral. Anyways, I am quite gassy, passing gas at least 50 times in a slow day, and upwards to 100-200 times on a more active day. Sometimes it passes easily, other times, it feels trapped in my bowels for a short period of time. When released it is a very small amount (lets call it a 'puff'). Additionally, I also consistently pass stool that is by all accounts normal in terms of colour, size, and firmness, except for the fact that it is also flat on one side (like a sliced pickle). I do not have any abdominal pain, and I have no visual account of any blood in the stool either. Any idea as to what is going on? IBS? Colon cancer? Any information would be greatly appreciated as I think about this constantly. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

The information you have provided is suggestive of collitis and/or IBS

If you have a history of consuming junk food, I wold advice you avoid that

Add a probiotic twice a day for two weeks followed by once a day for another two to four weeks

If under stress manage your stress levels

If this does not respond go for a stool test along with a culture report and get back to me

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a healthy life
Follow-up: Suffering from gastritis. Not having abdominal pain or blood in stool. IBS or colon cancer? 25 hours later
Thanks so much, I do appreciate it. It seems as though the gas is somewhat related to food. I had not really noticed this before, but for the first time last night, I did not have much in the way of dinner, and ended up passing stool just before going to bed. When I awoke this morning, I did not immediately eat breakfeast (and I had not eaten for a good while since the previous evening) and no small puffs of gas were noticeable. I had a banana and nearly immediately after swallowing, I had a small amount of gas to pass. I have not had to pass stool today, however, when I went to the washroom this evening, I tried to force it, and a small piece (less than 4 cm) came out it, it was flat, ribbon like, and settled at the bottom of the bowl. That said, I had previously been having normal size stools. I just thought I would pass this information your way in case it changes anything.

I will follow your advice with the probiotic.

Two questions I have still...

Can an anal fissure produce flattened stool?

I know you did not mention colon cancer in your previous message, but is it something that is legitimately possible in my case, given what I have told you thus far?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later

The reply to your queries :

1] Due to pain of fissure the anal opening does not open adequately and can lead to flattened stool

2] With the information you have provided I think No, It does not appear to be colon cancer

Hope this answers your queries

Get Well Soon