Suffering from gasteric problem. Started snoring. What could be the problem?

I have a gasteric problem. Be it before food (after waking up early in the morning) or even after a meal i get belching.
I started snoring a lot now a days due to unusual sleeping habits. I feel like a some flum comes if i am not taking food on time and it smels very bad.. What could be the problem? can u pl help me out?
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for contacting healthcare magic
By the description provided you seem to have GERD, ie the reflux of gastric contents into esophagus. This usually occurs because of a poor lower esophageal sphincter tone or a hiatus hernia - the upward migration of stomach into the chest leading to an incompetent lower esophageal sphincter. The reflux causes throat irritation and produces flum like feeling and mat cause a bad smell.
Take some PPI (Rabeprazole 20mg twice before food) and a prokinetic (neopride SR before breakfast), elevate the head end of the bed and keep at-least 2 hr interval after food before lying down. Doing some diaphragmatic exercises will also help. You may also get an endoscopy if you donot feel better with these.
Follow-up: Suffering from gasteric problem. Started snoring. What could be the problem? 37 minutes later
Hi. thanks for your answer. Your diagnosis fits absolutely right in my case. I have a question. I have this problem for last 7 months. Do you want me to take any test and start the medication or should i just follow the medicines prescribed to me?

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 15 hours later
Hi and thanks for the follow up
As you are young and without significant co-morbidities, try out the medicines and the exercises + lifestyle changes first for 3 weeks. If symptoms are persisting ot you have a recurrrence you may then go for the endoscopy.