Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from frequent urination. Taking BP tablets. Help?

General Surgeon
Doctor, i am XXXXXXX upman from india and right now in africa. from last 3 days i have issues of frequent urination after every 15 min.

My father is doctor and he advised me to take Citralika and 2 tablets for 7 days of norfloxacin 400. Till date i have taken 7 norflox ( 1 morning / 1 evening ) and regularly taking norflox but not much relaxation. Yesterday it was better in day but in night again it started the same. Though when i sleep its ok and i go to toilet only once i get up. I am in nigeria so not much hospitals and will be going to india next month mid. But i am tired of feelinng this urge of urine and only some urine comes.

I do not have any burning sentation and niether any colour of urine is there. Its normal urine white colour.

I would like to share that from last 2 months i a swimming regularly everyday in the pool and also consuming alcohol which is generally beer or whisky. Could this happen because of alcohol or swimming water or what.

I am also taking every morning Aten 25 drug as i have high BP issues but my BP is controlled and ranges at 125/ 85. apart from that i have no illness. blood sugar i checked 7 mtnhs back that time it was 107 so i dont know what to do now to get rid of this frequent urination. I am drinking lot of fluids which is lime water and juices. pls tell me the cure and in how many days i will get rid of this illness.

Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are most likely caused by urine is very characteristic for this condition. You may also suffer from lower abdominal pain, fever and back pain.

Norfloxacine 400 mg twice a day should be a good treatment for most common bacterial infections. However, sometimes other antibiotics need to be used as bacteria can be resistant for Norfloxacine. That is why; urine analysis and urine culture test should be done to establish which antibiotic should be used.

I assume that you are unable to have urine analysis right now.

One more thing you need to know is that when you do not urinate for a long time (during the night), bacteria can easily grow in the urinary tract (urine can wash away bacteria when urinating frequent enough). That is why; the most important in urinary tract infection treatment is drinking plenty of mineral water (2-3 liter/24 hours), urinating couple of time during the night (to wash away bacteria) and not holding urine in the urinary bladder. So in simple words, drink and urinate as frequent as possible.
Other thing which can be very helpful is cranberries supplement.

Yes, your urinary tract infection can be caused by swimming in the water. You can get bacteria from the water. You also decrease the temperature of your body what makes you prone to infections.

That is why; you should avoid swimming for a week or so. Try to put a heating pad to your pelvis area to increase a temperature Or just stay in bed for day or two (like when you have flu).

If you will follow this advises, the symptoms should go away in few days.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Suffering from frequent urination. Taking BP tablets. Help? 2 days later
Hi doctor,

Had some releif after taking norflox 400 for 3 days twice and also I took cranberry juice for 2 days.

However yesterday full day I was feeling too good but eventually in night ilurination started for 2 hours and thenbit was ok. I could not take norflox last night as medicine was finished and not available in africa and hence chemist today advised me here to take ofloxacin 200 for another 2 days.

I have taken one dose of oflaxacin...from morning its better. My question is in men how many days it takes to get complete releif from this uti infection. Also I checked my blood sugar level empty stomach and it came to 92....

Hope I will get releif soob and should I take again ofloxacin 200 mg in night.

Regards.... XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 hours later
Complete relief should be present after whole antibiotics course. Usually it is 5 days. If after that time, there is no relief, urine culture test is necessary, to determine which bacteria are causing an infection and what is the best antibiotic.

Ofloxacine is a good antibiotic; however, you should not start another course without doctor’s advice. If you have started the course, the antibiotic should not be stopped. Therefore, you should continue Ofloxacine for next 5 days. In addition, please visit a doctor if possible.

Your blood sugar is in referential ranges, however is quite high for empty stomach. I suggest you to have glucose tolerance test (not an urgent but might be helpful).

Hope this will help.