Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from frequent urination. Had bladder treatments of DSMO instillation. What is the cure?

Question
Hello I have had interstitial cystitis now since 1992. In the beginning I did the bladder treatments of DSMO instillation for about 3 years. Then just medication. For the last 2 months my symptoms have gotten worse, I have to get up during the night almost every hour to go to the bathroom. During the day sometimes I can wait for 2 hours but mostly I have to urinate in an hour and a half. Not an extreme amount of pain but some when I try to bare down to try to release more urine. My cystitis has not been this bad since the beginning. Could there be something else wrong or what can I do to change the amount of times I have to get up during the night. I do not drink anything an hour before bedtime or during the night. What options do I have to help relieve this pain and chronic urination. Thank you for your help. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. David Okia 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Multiple options are available Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for your question. Based on my experience, my first option is combination of loratadine and pentosan. In most cases, patients improve (pain subsides and frequency reduces). In few who do not improve on combination above, I do transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) as second option and they respond. In addition to the above, I would recommend MRI of bladder and pelvic region to rule out any bladder complication. Hope I answered your question, will be happy to help you if you have other queries.

Follow-up: Suffering from frequent urination. Had bladder treatments of DSMO instillation. What is the cure? 43 hours later
Thank you for your response. I will seek a urologist for help and tell him about your response. I also had a bladder surgery, where they lifted up my bladder and it is being held in place by muscles drilled through my pelvis. that was in 1992. I have also gained about 40 lbs. within the last year which I can't explain, as I have not changed any habits. I contribute it to the diabetes II. I have no other explanation. Could something have loosened or does weight gain effect this sort of thing. Thank you

Answered by Dr. David Okia 26 days later
Brief Answer: If you are not stressed Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for your question. Based on my experience ,If you are not stressed and your happy you can easily gain weight even if you maintain the same habits. I would recommend you do light exercises like walking. Hope i answered your question, will be happy to help you if you have other queries.