Suffering from frequent migraine attacks, took topomac pain killer but no help. Suggest?

Nov 2013

My wife is suffering from migrane attacks frequently and daily head pain have to take pain killers like headset to get relief everyday? She took topomac for 2 months as a preventive but did not effected. suggest any preventive that could stop frequrent head pain
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Other preventive medications include flunarizine..

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

Migraine is a treatable disease, and there are good medications to prevent the recurrence of headache episodes.

Topamac (topiramate) is a good drug, and before saying it did not work, at least 100 mg per day should be tried.

Other medical options to prevent migraine headaches include flunarizine, divalproex, propranolol, etc.

If your wife still does not improve, botox injection therapy can be very useful.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
Follow-up: Suffering from frequent migraine attacks, took topomac pain killer but no help. Suggest? 3 hours later

Thank you for your reply it is very helpful. My wife is one of your patient i hope you will remember when you see us. I have visited you few months back at Apollo hospital and you pescribed Topomac. I want to mention that my wife is taking loette medicine which has a possibilty of triggering headache.

What drug you prescibe for prenentive?
She is taking zolmist nasal spary to release the pain but now its is not effecting.
Is there any other pain killer drug that will effect to release the pain,

I appreicate that you mentioned the Botox therapy. Could you please give me information on how many sittings or injections needs to be taken.
And how much will be the cost of the therapy.

Awating for your reply
Thank you for your time
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My replies are below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Nice to XXXXXXX you on this website.

For pain relief, she can take rizatriptan (Rizact) 10 mg as and when necessary (not more than two per day).

If topamac fails, she may benefit from other drugs such as beta blockers or flunarizine, or a combination of two drugs.

Regarding Botox therapy, about 200 units are required. Cost of the procedure (including the cost of botox) would be approximately Rs 35,000 (thirty five thousand only).
It may have to be repeated after 3-6 months.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)