Suffering from frequent gout attacks. Red, swollen and sore wrist. What does this mean?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

My father has been suffering from frequent gout attacks for years..they're only getting worse. He has abstained from purine XXXXXXX foods yet his wrist is red, swollen and sore to the touch...usually it is his big toe. He is at his wits end and has benn surfing the net lately, He found that XXXXXXX Cider Vinegar, Blueberries, Cherries and Strawberries can help eliviate the excruciating pain. He is taking Prednisone as he can't have NSAIDS. He also is being treated for high blood pressure. He has been told he is on the borderline for developing diabetes and has been diagnosed with Myocardial infarction...for which he takes blood thinners. For gout he was prescribed Alpurinol. The gout is ruining his life and his doctors don't seem to care! How can I help him help himself? BTW His younger sister passed from a form of Dermatomyositis & Polymyositis...would have to get the exact name...
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 hours later
The pain and inflammation in gout is often severe.
The steroids he is taking can reduce the inflammation but not the pain.
Gout is associated with consumption of alcohol, seafood and meat.
Taking a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C, dairy products and coffee is likely to help in improvement of symptoms. Berries are a XXXXXXX source of vitamin C.
Drink plenty of water daily to help the kidneys clear the uric acid. Reducing meat intake will help a little.
To relieve the pain, he can do a hot fomentation and apply a local analgesic gel over the affected area. In case the pain is persistent then he can get opioid analgesics like tramadol prescribed from his orthopedician in addition to steroids.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffering from frequent gout attacks. Red, swollen and sore wrist. What does this mean? 1 hour later
Do you think he should be assessed for RA or Psoriatic Arthritis? He just revealed that he was diagnosed years ago with mild psoriasis. Is there a possible genetic connection to the dermatomyositis?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
There is a possibility of having disorders like psoriatic arthritis or predisposition to dermatomyositis. Rheumatoid arthritis is not likely considering his symptoms.
You can get him investigated for the same.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.