Suffering from frequent cervical spondylosis, left index numb. Instructed for physio therapy. Take medicines to prevent it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I suffer from frequent cervical spondylosis ( C5 & C6 was the last in Oct 11), bad attacks once every year. Frequent pain in the neck & back area every 1/2 months. My left index finger is still numb from my last attack in Sept 2009.

I was instructed to do physio therapy (traction) and taken oral medication for pain ( Dolo) and muscle relexants, whenever the attack is severe.

Very recently ( last 2/3 weeks), I have been having this tingling sensation in my left back area, behind the rib cage. This occurs in frequent spurts right thru the day and last for approx. 40 - 50 secs.

Is this something I should b worried about ? Can I take some medicines to prevent this from happening ?

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
The tingling sensation in the left back area behind the rib cage is again likely to be related to the cervical spondylosis you are already having. Nerve root irritation caused by bony spurs causes such paresthesias.
Taking methylcobalamin supplements and Vitamin B complex supplements after consulting your orthopedician will help in relieving the symptoms.
You can avoid using a pillow.
Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
You can use a cervical collar to decrease the nerve root compression.
I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffering from frequent cervical spondylosis, left index numb. Instructed for physio therapy. Take medicines to prevent it? 20 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt response Dr Tayal.

Can you also suggest something for my left index finger which has remained near to numb (low sensation) for over 3 years. Thanks.

Regads, Savio
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The persistent numbness in the left index finger for three years can be due to a nerve injury. A nerve conduction velocity study will help in determining the exact cause. The treatment will depend on the cause.
Taking Vitamin B complex supplements might be helpful in case the numbness is related to a nutritional deficiency.
Hope my answer is helpful.Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.