Suffering from flu, cough, white gums with red streaks on roof of mouth. Salt water provides no relief. Solutions?

I have the flu have very bad cough the roof and the gums ar all white the back and roof og my mouth have a lot red streaks very sore have been using salt water not helping, this is the second time I have had this cough in a month thanks
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 5 hours later

After going through your history, I suggest the following:

1. You seem to be suffering from acute pharyngitis at present.

2. Since this is a recurrent infection in a period of 1 month, you need to get yourself evaluated. Please visit your physician / pulmonologist.

3. You need to take a 5 to 7 days course of antibiotic like amoxicillin after consulting your physician.

4. Continue warm saline gargles.

5. In case of associated cold, you need to take an oral antihistaminic+ decongestant combination and a nasal spray at bed time of (local antihistaminic+ steroid) after consulting your physician.

6. Once the episode is controlled, I would suggest you to consider the annual flu shots and the 5 yearly pneumococcal shots for prevention of severe attacks of such coughs.

7. Also currently you need to get your chest X XXXXXXX , complete blood counts & sputum examination done.

I hope I have answered your query. Please do let me know if there are any further queries.
Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

I wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra